Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-ah0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm heaving trouble using the fingerprint scanner on my Laptop. I can't change my windows pincode either, which is quite annoying because it's a long one.  I'm guessing it's a software problem, since it showed up when my laptop updated to windows 10 version 1903.

As you can see in the picture below, it shows all Windows Hello features unavailable. Capture.PNG

Does anyone knows how to fix this? I've already tried reinstalling my fingerprint drivers.

Thanks a lot!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@milanve 

If you have not done so,

• Open Windows Updates > Check for Updates - if any updates are installed, Restart the computer and log in
  • Manually Update your "other" HP software and drivers (except the BIOS) > - if any updates are installed, Restart the computer and log in
  • Download-save-install the BIOS update (if applicable) - Close other applications, connect computer to AC power.
  • Update your fingerprint driver software > After the driver is updated, Restart the computer and log in

Information files:

sp98547.cva

sp98547.html

Updated fingerprint sensor driver:

sp98547.exe

[Operating Systems]

WT64_1809=OEM

WT64_1903=OEM

Before changing anything (more than you have), make sure you can log into your computer using other than the fingerprint reader.  

Download and save the new fingerprint reader software.

Remove the driver (uninstall) the reader driver from the Device Manager

Open Device Manager > Biometrics > Right-Click Properties > Uninstall

Open File Explorer 

Navigate to the folder in which you saved the downloaded fingerprint software package (Downloads)

Double-tap on the installation package to install the software.

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms or "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Additional "How-to" procedures

Search for additional solutions...

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 13-ah0000 Laptop PC series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I did all that, and it still shows the same "This option is currently unaviable". Thanks anyways. I think i'll just try to reset my laptop. 

HP Recommended

@milanve 

Too bad - I would guess that the issue is within the Windows file system and that the windows Reset will take care of it.

It you have done already completed the actual Windows Reset, as a last "try", consider a Forced Start.

What?

Forced Start / Hard Reset does not wipe out / change / write the OS or your files, this is a power reset to force the system to read the start options from the Operating System on disk as opposed to using anything stored in memory to help boot the system more quickly.

IF there is not actually anything wrong with the windows installation or the File System,

Then

The following procedure might resolve the issue.

1. Unplug everything, including power and all other externally connected components
  2. Press and hold down the power button for thirty (30) to forty (40) seconds
  3. Release the power button
  4. Plug in only basic components needed to start / boot the computer

NOTES

• Desktop:  Connect Power, wired mouse and keyboard, HDMI to monitor (and monitor is powered on)
  • Notebook:  Connect AC Power

1. Switch on the system with power button - Click power and release (as for normal boot)

Hoped for Results:

• System switches on, monitor active, mouse and keyboard responsive

N/A 

If the issue was a "stuck" BIOS update:

• Screen shows the BIOS update window with choices:  cancel / update
  • Wait several seconds; stare at it and contemplate actions. (The process will continue on its own after about 10-20 seconds)
  • BIOS update continues, completes, and reboots the system

When the system reboots,

1. Log in
  2. Connect LAN (Ethernet)
  3. Connect other components (USB, external webcam, speakers...)
  4. General housekeeping (checks, more staring at it)

If it does not work, it only takes a few minutes to find out.  😐

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.