Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 4530s
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Hi, Anytime I try using fingerprint to unlock my system or even register my fingerprint, my system will show "fingerprint reader not connected ". I went online and I saw checking BIOS setting to check the fingerprint setting, it was there but when I went to device manager, there was no BIOMETRIC setting there. How can I rectify this problem please
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi Hyewsh,

Did this happen after upgrading to Windows 10?

If so, it could be a driver issue.

This is the Validity Fingerprint Driver Sensor for Windows 8.1 (32 bit).

Description:

This package contains the driver that enables the Validity Fingerprint Sensor in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The fingerprint sensor scans fingerprints for use with biometric security applications.

Once you download and see the driver package, right click then hit Troubleshoot Compatibility then go through the steps to configure it for your computer.

Also see if you can find any sort of Biometric device after selecting Show Hidden Devices in Device Manager.

Hope this helps,

kem579

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show thanks!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended
Hi, Thanks for the help but I saw I made a mistake by choosing 32 bit instead of 64 bit. Will it still work
HP Recommended
Hi Hywesh,

This is the Windows 8.1 (64 bit) drivers:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66915.exe

Hope this solves your issue,
kem579

HP Recommended
No, the problem still remaims. Any more suggestions
HP Recommended

Hi Hyewsh,

I do have another suggestion although I can't promise it'll work.

By the way, I just want to confirm if this happened after upgrading to Windows 10. If it didn't, it may be a hardware issue and I would advise contacting HP.

1. Go to Device Manager
  2. Select your PC name (the very top entity)
  3. Then go to Action > Add legacy hardware
  4. Next > you can, initially, try the recommended automatic method
  5. If the automatic method didn't work, select the advanced method
  6. Double click Show all devices
  7. You can scroll down to HP and see if there is anything there
  8. Otherwise select Have Disk and browse for the Windows 8.1 driver

Pretty sure it ends here. If this doesn't work and you can't find it after selecting Show Hidden Devices, I would recommend contacting HP or rolling back to Windows 8.1.

Hope this helps,

kem579

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show thanks!

HP Recommended
It happened after installing windows 10. It didn't work "Fingerprint reader not detected ". But thanks anyway you really tried.
HP Recommended
You the best
HP Recommended

Hi Hywesh,

:smileylol::smileylol::smileylol: I don't actually have any IT background - I'm still a student.

So you have already checked BIOS and that it is enabled? If not, here are the steps:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F10
  3. I think it's under System Configuration - you may see something like Biometrics so make sure it's enabled

I did find another HP Support Forum post regarding Windows 10 Validity Fingerprint sensor so I would like to kindly direct you here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Validity-Fingerprint-Common-Driver-for-Win...

There is a driver link through Onedrive at the bottom of the first post. It's from Lenovo and I already checked whether it is safe. It might work, it might not.

You could also try this (although this is a hardware diagnostics):

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2
  3. Select Component Test
  4. Select Fingerprint Sensor
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions

Hopefully you'll find a solution,

kem579

HP Recommended
Tried everything still not working, might be hardware problem I think. And the windows hello is showing "windows hello isn't available on this device "
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.