Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce2xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Most of times the fingerprint scanner of my laptop does not recognize my fingerprint, even after adding more fingerprints. What is going wrong? It seems to be that the temperature and humidity of my finger have a lot of influence on the operation. But I can not always offer my finger under the same condition. So how to solve it?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Jinwen1 

Up front:

I have never had a system with a "side" positioned fingerprint reader.

My opinion is that there is no magic solution to this dilemma.

I have been told - by someone who has actually had one of these devices - that this "side swipe" configuration is more difficult to use successfully then a reader placed on keyboard area.

NOTE:  This is NOT a statement of fact, rather it is simply a "third person" observation which may only be true for the person making the original comment.

Service Guide

HP Pavilion 14-ce2000 - Service Guide - Page 10HP Pavilion 14-ce2000 - Service Guide - Page 10

I would guess that raising the computer up from the work surface (desk) would help position your finger to be read by the fingerprint reader device.   Admittedly, the positioning is perhaps awkward regardless.  

Dampen your fingertip (a tiny bit) might help.  I leave it to you - a tiny drop of clear, clean water on your fingertip, quickly wiped off, is a hygienic option.

Workaround - presented as For-Your-Information:

If all else fails, consider using the Windows PIN to log in. The PIN number is short and easy to type in AND the PIN is tied to the hardware to which it is assigned.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 14-ce2000 Laptop PC

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed tips Dragon-Fur! I removed the old finger prints and added new finger prints under colder conditions but with pretty try fingers since my usually have cold hands. Unfortunately it seemed to be help a little so the scanner can recognize my finger more often 🙂 Anyway it was a puzzle to find the most common condition to set the finger prints. Hopefully it may help others to solve similar problem!

HP Recommended

@Jinwen1 

You are welcome.

Ha!  Clever.

Maybe "cold fingers" are the magic for this device.  Smiling.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.