Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15-J042TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I purchased the notebook in January 2014 anf came with Winfows 8. I then upgraded to 8.1 and eventually Windows 10 via the internet. I never had an issue with signing in the notebook with the fingerprint scanner. It always worked!! But unfortunately i got the dreaded blue screen and had no other option but to download and reboot the notebook using the bootable iso file from Microsoft, save my files and start from scratch. I have the laptop running with all drivers installed but for some reason can only login via a 4 digit pin or Microsoft password.

I went into settings, selected Accounts, sign-in options and Fingerprint set up. When i select Get started nothing happens 😞

I know it definately worked with Windows 10 for a long time prior to re-installing after the blue screen.

Can anyone help please?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Envy15-J042tx,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand the fingerprint sign in options is not working after reinstalling the operating system.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you uninstall the fingerprint driver from device manager and reinstall it from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Follow below steps to uninstall the driver.

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Install:

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Envy15-J042tx,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand the fingerprint sign in options is not working after reinstalling the operating system.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you uninstall the fingerprint driver from device manager and reinstall it from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Follow below steps to uninstall the driver.

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Install:

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi...i actually got it working. I downloaded the file sp71729 and works fine!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.