Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-ba005ds
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do  I turn on fn lock?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello,

HP Notebook PCs - Disable The Fn + Function Key Combination on Certain Models
On most HP and Compaq notebook computers, it is necessary to press and hold the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to activate the default functions; such as, increasing or decreasing the brightness of the display, the sound volume, sleep, keyboard lock, etc. On the HP Envy notebooks and other notebooks with advanced BIOS options, the function keys can be configured so that it is not necessary to press and hold the fn key.
Figure : Location of function keys
Image showing the  location of the function keys f1 through f12 on the top row of the keyboard and the fn key on the bottom left of the keyboard
  1. Function Keys f1 through f12
  2. Configurable Function key fn
Disable or enable fn in the BIOS
To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.
  1. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  2. Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.
  3. Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.
    Figure : BIOS setup window
    BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected
  4. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  5. Select the desired mode:
    • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.
      For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.
      The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
    • Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.
      For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.
      The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
  6. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.
The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I recently bought a HP OMEN PC. there was a keyboard and mouse with system.

F keys on the keyboard do multimedia functions and in order to use F keys regular functions, I need keeping Fn button pressed .

It is really annoying and I want to change it. 😞

How can I lock Fn on my keyboard?

Additionally, there is no Action keys mode or setting in my system BIOS setup window.

Thank you

HP Recommended

@AydinBn

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Have you gone through the previous post?

If the settings aren't available, it means that the options are locked and not available for this model

It's been designed this way. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do to change it.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I can use Shift+Fn (actually Fn + Shift, button-down-order seems to matter here) on my Elitebook/PROBOOK to invert/swap Fn and F-Keys (aka "lock Fn"). The keyboard indicates the current mode with a little light on the Fn key and also shows the switching option printed on the Shift-Key, see screenshots attached. Sometimes it's worth checking the printings on the keyboards before using google thought - learned it the hard way ^^
HP Recommended

It is ridiculous to say that a design cannot be changed. It can probably even be changed with a firmware update.

Might cost a few bucks if someone else has a patent on the function lock key.

HP Recommended

[edit]*** Easy and simple - worked right away! Thanks!

Just press and hold FN-butten and then press Shift (fn lock) and the small light on the fn-butten turns on.

DK => Hvis du ikke kan få din fn-knap / Funktion til at aktivere/deaktivere på din HP, så hold fn-knappen nede og tryk på shift. Lyset på fn-kanppen indikerer om dit tastatur er funktionslåst eller ikke.

HP Recommended

[edit] Worked for me ! Thanks a lot!

It's very helpful for me because I am working from home (in case of corona-virus) and using the corporate laptop with restriction changing BIOS setting.

HP Recommended

Fn + Shift does not work on my HP Spectre x360 :'(
(Shift + Fn does not work either)
Thank you very much anyway, AliAbbas!

On the other hand, BIOS method did work OK, so kudos to GBL84 !

HP Recommended

The problem with this fix, , is that now I have to press the FN key for the Escape key to work. Really poor design that I can't simply click F2 to edit Excel cells without having to press FN+Escape to escape, or vice versa. #Ugh

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.