Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
12-11-2016 06:53 PM - edited 12-11-2016 06:54 PM
- Function Keys f1 through f12
- Configurable Function key fn
- Press the power button to turn on the computer.
- Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.
- Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.Figure : BIOS setup window
- Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
- Select the desired mode:
- Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
- Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
- Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.
Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
I am not an HP Employee
12-25-2019 11:35 AM
I recently bought a HP OMEN PC. there was a keyboard and mouse with system.
F keys on the keyboard do multimedia functions and in order to use F keys regular functions, I need keeping Fn button pressed .
It is really annoying and I want to change it. 😞
How can I lock Fn on my keyboard?
Additionally, there is no Action keys mode or setting in my system BIOS setup window.
12-25-2019 01:42 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community.
Have you gone through the previous post?
If the settings aren't available, it means that the options are locked and not available for this model
It's been designed this way. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do to change it.
I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance.
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
01-17-2020 05:45 AM
03-19-2020 12:01 AM - last edited on 03-23-2020 09:22 AM by Cheron-Z
*** Easy and simple - worked right away! Thanks!
Just press and hold FN-butten and then press Shift (fn lock) and the small light on the fn-butten turns on.
DK => Hvis du ikke kan få din fn-knap / Funktion til at aktivere/deaktivere på din HP, så hold fn-knappen nede og tryk på shift. Lyset på fn-kanppen indikerer om dit tastatur er funktionslåst eller ikke.
03-23-2020 01:04 AM - last edited on 03-23-2020 09:21 AM by Cheron-Z
 Worked for me ! Thanks a lot!
It's very helpful for me because I am working from home (in case of corona-virus) and using the corporate laptop with restriction changing BIOS setting.
05-04-2020 03:33 PM
The problem with this fix, GBL84, is that now I have to press the FN key for the Escape key to work. Really poor design that I can't simply click F2 to edit Excel cells without having to press FN+Escape to escape, or vice versa. #Ugh