Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've connected the Garmin to the USB port and the notebook didn't recognize that a device is connected. I've also tried the USB-C port but that didn't work either.

Connecting my older Garmin Zumo 550 to the USB port works correct.

Connecting the Garmin Zumo 595 to another laptap works also fine.

So it looks that the HP is the problem.

What can I do to solve the issue?

I've bought the DELOCK powered USB 3.0 HUB. (productcode 1096679).

https://www.allekabels.nl/usb-hub/174/1096679/usb-30-hub-4-poorts.html

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No response from either Garmin or HP on this problem.

I found a work-around was to use a powered USB hub and was able to establish comms between the Garmin and HP and sucessfully complted my updates.

John

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Download and install the Garmin software. I have a Nuvi and I did not have a problem updating it via the software.

Here is the link to the download page.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=9519

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

That's a thing what I've allready done.

But when the laptop doesn't recognize a new device, the Garmin Express software certainly can't find the device.

As described in my original post, the Zumo 550 is recognized as a device and the 595LM not.

With the Garmin Express the 550 can be added as a device.

Adding a new device results in a message that there is no new device available.

So it looks like there is some issue in connecting the 595lm to the HP Spectre. The HP Spectre doesn't recognise it as a device.

HP Recommended
It is peculiar. Try a different USB cable.

Have you tested the USB ports yet?
Use the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility to do that.

Have you had issues with any other devices and the USB port?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reaction.

I've tried it with different USB Cables. Also on the different USB ports (the normal "old" port and the new USB-C ports) and no reaction.

I've connected the old Garmin on the normal USB port and that worked. I've also used several flash drives and they worked also.

I've downloaded the utility and run the available tests. All passed. But there is no test available for USB port.

HP Recommended

I've performed the tests again via the diagnostic utility from the bios startup.

All tests passed.

Also a test availabe for the USB port (but not for thunderbold devices). This test was also passed.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. When I connect, it wakes up the GPS, but in normal mode. A hack that works for me most of the time is as follows: First, ensure the GPS is OFF, next, plug the GPS into a power source such as a charger or external battery. After the GPS screen comes alive, quickly disconnect USB connector from the power source and plug immediately into the Laptop. Normally that trips the GPS into Data Transfer mode for me. Hope this works for you.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with a Garmin nuvi 2689LMT. I am plugging it into a USB port with the Garmin supplied cable, but WIn10 is not recognising the garmin.

This is a new HP laptop 15 core i5 with two usb3 and one usb2 ports - but none work with the garmin. The ports work fine with other USB devices such as thumbdrive, headphones and mass storage device. The garmin and cable work fine with my old win10 laptop.

Until win10 recognises the garmin, I cannot use the garmin express software.

John

HP Recommended

Here is an update  on my Nuvi to HP USB problem.

I took my GPS  into Bestbuy, where I bought the laptop and did an experiment (witht he store's permission).

I plugged the GPS into an identical model HP laptop and it also failed.

Then plugged it into three late model but different HP laptops. It failed in each one.

Then I plugged the GPS into an Acer, Dell, and Levono late model laptops and it worked in each case.

So my conclusion is that there is an issue in the USB device manager on the current HP laptops that I tested.

I'll report to Garmin and to HP to see what happens next.

John

HP Recommended

Latest update to this HP Laptop to Garmin problem.

Following a suggestion from Garmin, I tried a powered USB hub - and IT WORKS!

So given that the connection failed on 5 different model HP laptops (100% of the sample) and worked on Acer, Dell, Toshiba (100% of sample) and it now works using a powered HUB, the probem seems to be that the voltage supplied at the HP USB ports is low.

I field a report with HP but they do not seem to recognise a problem that crosses product models, so I will pass this to Garmin as they are affected, and see if they can get through to HP at the corporate level.

John

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.