Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-an019na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I hadn't used my laptop for about a month, and today I started it, and tried to update the drivers, Avast etc. However, the GPU didn't update, it said it doesn't find a compatible driver, I tried downloading the driver from Nvidia, same error. Avast doesn't update either, not sure if this could be anyhow related, but yeah...

I went to device manager, and the card wasn't there. It was hidden, but it just showed we Other - Display, I uninstalled it, and restarted my laptop, when I tried to install the driver update again, it didn't work, same error message again. 

Before I attempted any updates, the Nvidia controll panel opened, after I tried to update it, it no longer opened, and gave me an error message..

I tried updating my PC, there were only 3 updates, all updated now, nothing else left to update. I really have no idea what's happening. 

I also tried using Driver Easy and it doesn't locate my graphics card.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to try them out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So what ended up fixing it was going back to a recovery, or pretty much doing a clean install of Windows. 

Luckily my GPU wasn't broken, so now all I need to do is update all my drivers and customise my laptop the way it was before, haha. 

Thanks for the help 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @xxavatarxx,

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your notebook would not update the graphics drivers.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

What is the error message while trying to update? 

Did you make any software/hardware changes earlier (a month back)? 

To resolve the issue, let's try to uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers: 

• In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  • In the list of devices, expand Display adapters.
  • Right-click the graphics device and uninstall.
  • You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to “Delete the driver software for this device” and click OK button.

• Restart your PC for the change to take effect.

• To reinstall, open HP Recovery Manager. Note: Disable the antivirus during installation of graphics drivers.

• Look for Drivers and application reinstallation

• Search Graphics drivers from the list of drivers and install it.

• Restart your notebook.

Also, try updating BIOS by following steps as mentioned in the article: Updating the BIOS

If the issue persists, please create a new user account. Refer to this document for creating a new account: Click Here.

Keep me posted how this goes!

Have a great day 🙂

HP Recommended

It says NVIDIA Installer cannot continue.

I have not made any changes. 

In DM, I do not have Display adapters shown. It's not hidden either. 

I tried updating the BIOS and then updating my card, nothing.

Changing the user, and then trying, nothing. 

It does not even recognise that there is a card inserted. When I tried to find automatically drivers, it said no card found.

HP Recommended

@xxavatarxx,

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I would suggest you contact our phone support.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

HP Recommended

So what ended up fixing it was going back to a recovery, or pretty much doing a clean install of Windows. 

Luckily my GPU wasn't broken, so now all I need to do is update all my drivers and customise my laptop the way it was before, haha. 

Thanks for the help 🙂

HP Recommended

@xxavatarxx

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

Although, I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

We usually keep clean installation as the last resort, hoping there's more we can do before suggesting it.

That said, I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for our efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give us a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.