cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoshenPrint
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP 17-BY1053DX: How to stop "sMedio True DVD for Hp" from bein gdefault for playing DVD movies?

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In Windows 10 "Default Apps", the listed defrault Video player is "Windows Media Player".   BUT when I insert a DVD movie, instead of Windows Media Player launching, sMedio True DVD is launched instead.  How do I get DVD movies when inserted to automatically launch Media player instear of sMedio True DVD?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
IT_WinSec
Level 15
Level 15
10,002 9,899 799 3,867
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @GoshenPrint 

Windows Media Player {WMP) may be selected as your default video player but it is not capable of playing all kind of video formats. Its support for codecs is poor. Therefore, it cannot play all kind of movies. Perhaps, WMP is not capable of playing this type of video or is not set to automatically play this type of extenstion that loads from this video.

You may check this article >> https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-file-associations-in-windows-2624477

and associate the certain file file extenstion to Windows Media Player

I would recommend you also consider ditching WMP and replacing it with VLC media player - popular, free and open-source app with very big capacity to support various video formats.

>> Your FEEDBACK is important. Click below on Accept As Solution or ThumbUp+ buttons if my comments helped or to say thanks <<
*** I work for HP *** I express personal opinion only *** HP Expert - Volunteer since 2013
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation