Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-dw0012na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Notebook 15-dw0012na.  Today I was invited to install a HP BIOS firmware update.  This took a few minutes to complete.  The update was made whilst the notebook was on battery power (not plugged in).  On completion I continued to use the notebook as normal before shutting down but noticed that the battery indicator did not decrease from showing a value of 97%.  Later in the day, I wished to use the notebook again however when attempting to start up the notebook there appeared to be no life in it.  The power lead was subsequently plugged in and the notebook was able to start up as normal.  On start up with the power lead in, the power indicator displayed 97% (and charging) and continues to do so despite using the laptop.  This issue appears to be as a consequence of the HP BIOS firmware update installed today however I have no idea how to resolve the issue.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for replying to my issue.  Having carried out some research on line, I managed to resolve the battery indicator % by calibrating the battery.  Adjusting the battery settings and subsequently completing a complete discharge and recharge.  I was concerned as before doing this, a windows battery check suggested that the battery required changing but since carrying out the calibrating of the battery, the battery check is 'good'.   As it stands, the battery indicator is working fine now. 

Prior to calibrating the battery, I did try uninstalling and reinstalling driver but this did not resolve the problem.  I should mention that before I had a problem with the battery indicator sticking at 97% (which only occurred when the HP BIOS update was completed), for a couple of weeks  I did experience the laptop dropping in battery power suddenly from around 35/40% and as a consequence it would shut down.  I would then start up with the power adapter connected.  On the last discharge since calibrating the battery however, this issue did not arise so hopefully now also resolved.  I am yet to complete a full discharge of battery power since I reapplied the battery settings following the calibrating of the battery but for now, I am happy.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Tel-XKR

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery percentage is not changing after a BIOS update.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the version of the BIOS installed on the computer?

You will not be able to do a BIOS Update without the AC adapter connected to the computer. However, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager.

Here is how you do it.

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for replying to my issue.  Having carried out some research on line, I managed to resolve the battery indicator % by calibrating the battery.  Adjusting the battery settings and subsequently completing a complete discharge and recharge.  I was concerned as before doing this, a windows battery check suggested that the battery required changing but since carrying out the calibrating of the battery, the battery check is 'good'.   As it stands, the battery indicator is working fine now. 

Prior to calibrating the battery, I did try uninstalling and reinstalling driver but this did not resolve the problem.  I should mention that before I had a problem with the battery indicator sticking at 97% (which only occurred when the HP BIOS update was completed), for a couple of weeks  I did experience the laptop dropping in battery power suddenly from around 35/40% and as a consequence it would shut down.  I would then start up with the power adapter connected.  On the last discharge since calibrating the battery however, this issue did not arise so hopefully now also resolved.  I am yet to complete a full discharge of battery power since I reapplied the battery settings following the calibrating of the battery but for now, I am happy.  

HP Recommended

@Tel-XKR

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you and pleased to report that there have been no further problems.   

HP Recommended

@Tel-XKR

Thank you for the update.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.