Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV9000 RU971UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows Vista

I am trying to fix my brother-in-law's old laptop and it is having issues with the WiFi (it usually doesn't work but occasionally does). I did a recovery to start fresh with Vista and the problem is still there. I read that there were heating issues with this model and there were some BIOS version updates to help with cooling fan control/use while running. Is that true?

The laptop also seems to get stuck while booting occasionally which seems to be another issue with this particular model that could be heat related.

If the WiFi cards get cooked from heat, I would like to fix that issue if the BIOS update helps before replacing the WIFi card. There are no obstructions to cooling fan or venting and I cleaned out the dust just to be sure that wasn't the issue.

This one is running BIOS version F.27.

SMBIOS version 2.4

Can anyone provide a link to the most current bios for this model and any driver updates available?

HP Pavilion DV9000 RU971UA#ABA

Windows Vista 32bit

AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile TL (1600MHz)

Thanks for any info or help anyone may be able  to provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

This was the last BIOS release for that model series.  It does not mention fixing any heating issues, however, previous releases may have, but since HP has retired support for that model series, I no longer have access to the previous BIOS release notes.

Info:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48125.html

exe file:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48125.exe

It is not the wifi cards that are being cooked from the heat but the slot that powers them (motherboard failure).

The parts list for that model indicate that it comes with a Broadcom wifi card.

Here is the latest Vista driver for that model wifi card...

This package contains the Broadcom Wireless LAN Drivers that are required to enable the integrated Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50744.exe

Is the notebook missing any other drivers?

If so, please let me know which ones, because I have to hunt and peck for them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

This was the last BIOS release for that model series.  It does not mention fixing any heating issues, however, previous releases may have, but since HP has retired support for that model series, I no longer have access to the previous BIOS release notes.

Info:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48125.html

exe file:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48125.exe

It is not the wifi cards that are being cooked from the heat but the slot that powers them (motherboard failure).

The parts list for that model indicate that it comes with a Broadcom wifi card.

Here is the latest Vista driver for that model wifi card...

This package contains the Broadcom Wireless LAN Drivers that are required to enable the integrated Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50744.exe

Is the notebook missing any other drivers?

If so, please let me know which ones, because I have to hunt and peck for them.

HP Recommended

I think that is all I needed. I flashed the BIOS just in case and that went just fine with no issues that I can tell. I also ran the wifi driver .exe you provided. The orange light stays on all the time if the switch is off or on. I suspect you are right and it is a motherboard issue. I think instead of having him buy another wifi card, I will suggest he get a usb wifi adapter to squeeze a little more life out of the laptop. Thanks for your help it is much appreciated!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is what I advise folks to do...buy an external USB wifi adapter.

Eventually the motherboard will continue to deteriorate, taking out the DVD, audio, and finally the video.

Usually step one is the wifi card goes out.

The dv6K and dv9K AMD model series gave HP a black eye with recalls regarding the overheating motherboard issues.

HP Recommended
The BIOS update may have solved the issue where it doesn't want to startup sometimes. I have tried to duplicate what was a frequent issue and haven't been able to duplicate it since the BIOS update!
HP Recommended

That's good news.

Too bad HP removed the dv9000 support pages, so along went the BIOS update history info.

It would have been interesting to see if one of the updates had release notes addressing that issue.

Fortunately, BIOS updates are cumulative.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.