Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-ep0010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Missing INSERT key.

I've tried various suggestions from other community threads.  No luck.

INS is not present on any other key and not on prt sc key either.

How do I input INSERT via keyboard as I need this a lot?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@j4fm 

Please try Fn + E  (hold down Fn key and press letter E).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it already with no luck.

HP Recommended

<Content Removed>

Did not realize I'd jumped on @banhien .

Withdrawing graciously having contributed nothing useful to the conversation.

One Comment:  The "lesson" was directed to myself - it was unexplained and out-of-context.  Apologies for any upset.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply and thoughts.

While I agree that removing a dedicated insert key is an okay move to save keyboard real-estate (even though there is plenty of space on this laptop), I would still expect another way to input the insert key using the keyboard. e.g. shared with prt scr key or some other function key combination.

I'm still surprised if there is no such combination for this laptop and if that really is the case, I believe it to be a design fault.  This is supposed to be a PC compatible laptop, not a tablet where I need to use an OSB.

I do also agree that people should check what kind of keyboard is on the laptop they are buying, but this only goes so far.  e.g. does it have a dedicated number pad, what size is the enter key and general layout.  Going as far as effectively doing an audit of every single key when reviewing all the many laptops one might want to select from to buy is unrealistic.  I'd just expect the insert input to be there somewhere, even if not too worried where/how it is or how it is.  Though I certainly know to check this in future, to me this is one of those things that you'd only find once starting to use the laptop.

Interestingly for others, I have discovered that the ctrl+fn+prt sc combination actually invokes the pause/break input, even though unlabelled.  This is useful for pausing log outputs in a terminal window or terminating a command line ssh program/connection when ctrl+c doesn't work.

It's a new laptop, if I logged a support ticket, do you think this is something that can be fixed via a BIOS update to enable an fn key combination?  It would save me having to return and swap out.

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.