Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just set up my new HP Envy which has come with MS Office installed. All the programs are working and I have been able to sign into Office as a 365 subscriber. However, if I try to open an Office file (e.g. Excel .xlsx file) from the web, the laptop cannot find Excel to open it with. Upon inspection, I have no Microsoft Office program folder within either of the program directories. What's going on and where can I find them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When you have Excel opened, you can also open Task Manager, go to the detailed tab, then find Excel on the list, right click it, choose Properties and you will be able to see where exactly it opens from, there wikk be its location. You can eventuakky associate the Excel file with Excel app following the steps I posted earlier above.

I asked you because it was not veru clear if you signed online or in the program - better ask than assume.

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Pardon my 'stupid' question but how do you know the computer has Office preinstalled ? Do you see it present in a list if you open Control Panel - Programs and features?

If you open Start button, can you start typing Excel there to see if it pops up in the list if results?

Try also opening Start button, enter Run and execute this Run program. Once it opens, type Excel.exe

Hit ENTER from the keyboard and let me know if Excel opens?

If it opened, please find an Excel file which you want to open, then right click it, choose Properties and navigate to Open with section. Make sure this file type extensíon is set to opem with Excel.

Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. Yes, it is installed - all the icons are there in the Start menu, etc. I thought I'd made it clear that the Office apps are installed and working when I said this in my opening post:

"All the programs are working and I have been able to sign into Office as a 365 subscriber."

However, as I also mentioned above, despite the apps being there and completely functional, the program folder does not exist (at least, it is not visible anywhere). Double-clicking an Excel file will launch Excel. I am computer-savvy - I know my way around, so this isn't a dumb-blonde type question. :Wink:

I am currently away from the new laptop, but will add screenshots later to prove what I am saying.

Thanks again for replying, but what you have contributed does not help in this case, I am afraid. :generic:

HP Recommended

When you have Excel opened, you can also open Task Manager, go to the detailed tab, then find Excel on the list, right click it, choose Properties and you will be able to see where exactly it opens from, there wikk be its location. You can eventuakky associate the Excel file with Excel app following the steps I posted earlier above.

I asked you because it was not veru clear if you signed online or in the program - better ask than assume.

Let me know how it goes

HP Recommended

Thanks again. I'll try the Task Manager suggestion and see what it throws up when I get home this evening.

HP Recommended

So using the Task Manager helped me to sort this out. What was installed was in fact the MS Office desktop apps. I have now installed Office from my 365 subscription and everything is working as it should. Thanks again for the useful suggestion about Task Manager. :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.