Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

For my HP Envy x360 15z bq100-cto with Ryzen 5 2500U

F.19 firmware with forced install Adrenalin 18.5.1 (with Vari Bright disabled) works fine. Fix native resolution problem not an issue with this driver

F.19 firmware with forced install  Adrenalin 2019 edition 18.12.2 (with Vari Bright enabled) works fine. Fix native resolution problem not an issue with this driver

I use DDU  cleanup tool.

Programs tested

Doom 2016 Vulkan

Divinity Original Sin 2 DirectX11

Steps 

1. Use DDU  cleanup tool.

2. Force driver install via device manager

3. Search and install CCC2_install.exe

4. Search and install  VulkanRT.exe 

Specs: HP Envy x360 15z bq-100-CTO with Ryzen 5 2500U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe M2 SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.
HP Recommended

@xxalazin wrote:

I did update after I did a driver cleanup with DDU. The setup said installed 18.82.12 but no control panel installed and the drivers were stil MS basic display driver. I was able to force install the dec 6 2018 driver and it does work well so far. I cannot find a way to install the Radeon settings or control panel.....

For manual control panel install, search for ccc2_install.exe

Specs: HP Envy x360 15z bq-100-CTO with Ryzen 5 2500U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe M2 SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.
HP Recommended

Hi Guys!

Would like to try the new driver out but I don't understand what it means to 'force install' the driver?

Also the downloaded driver isn't a file that can be extracted so that the update driver procedure can be actioned through Device Manager - where are you finding an extractable folder for this?

@MeMoL Clicking the driver link you provided take sme to an AMD page stating that the requested page can't be linked to externally. Is this likely to be an issue at my end as people don't seem to have mentioned that.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

So I was able to finally fix this issue. I booted into safe mode, uninstalled drivers using DDU (didn't reboot). I already had downloaded the Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-18.12.2-Dec12 version of the drivers (the newest drivers on AMD's website as of right now). I just chose processor with graphics and then ryzen, ryzen 5 desktop and one of the options. It honestly doesn't really matter TOO much what you choose as I'm certain that all the downloads are most likely the same?

Then you go to device manager, display adapters, whatever the default windows gpu is, right click, update drivers.

Click browse my computer, then choose the let me pick from a list of drivers (since technically these drivers aren't compatible with our gpu), click have disk, go to the AMD folder where the drivers were unpacked to. then you go to... packages/drivers/display/WT6A_INF/   then i chose the C0337011 file. then you hit ok...it should then show a large list of all the AMD video cards, I selected AMD radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics. Hit ok.. and it should install. You are going to have to manually install the rest but at least the display driver is installed. I was able to turn back on hardware acceleration and have yet to have a blank screen crash/reboot since. I'm testing out 3D applications/games now. I'll report back if my laptop starts crashing, since... technically... these drivers don't support the chipset.

HP Recommended

@mylivingeulogy wrote:

So I was able to finally fix this issue. I booted into safe mode, uninstalled drivers using DDU (didn't reboot). I already had downloaded the Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-18.12.2-Dec12 version of the drivers (the newest drivers on AMD's website as of right now). I just chose processor with graphics and then ryzen, ryzen 5 desktop and one of the options. It honestly doesn't really matter TOO much what you choose as I'm certain that all the downloads are most likely the same?

Then you go to device manager, display adapters, whatever the default windows gpu is, right click, update drivers.

Click browse my computer, then choose the let me pick from a list of drivers (since technically these drivers aren't compatible with our gpu), click have disk, go to the AMD folder where the drivers were unpacked to. then you go to... packages/drivers/display/WT6A_INF/   then i chose the C0337011 file. then you hit ok...it should then show a large list of all the AMD video cards, I selected AMD radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics. Hit ok.. and it should install. You are going to have to manually install the rest but at least the display driver is installed. I was able to turn back on hardware acceleration and have yet to have a blank screen crash/reboot since. I'm testing out 3D applications/games now. I'll report back if my laptop starts crashing, since... technically... these drivers don't support the chipset.

I did the same exact procedure yesterday and haven't had a crash yet so these instructions are good for anyone else needing to fix the crashing issue.  Don't bother contacting HP because they recommend that I do a factory restore which would wipe out my data but probably not fix the issue.  HP really needs to update the video drivers they provide on their site since they're over a year old now.  We shouldn't have to do all this work to get our computers working.  The reps should at least have this info in their internal knowledge base so they don't have customers waste time doing factory restores. 

HP Recommended

Can confirm the above method works and has sorted the issue. Thanks very much.

HP Recommended

So my laptop crashed today, I was fearing the worst...

It turns out windows update automatically updated the drivers to the OEM supported drivers (the ones from 2017). I rolled back the drivers and everything is working fine again. Now i have to look into changing the registery so windows update doesn't automatically update drivers.

"

How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10
  • Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  • 2. Make your way to System and Security.
  • Click System.
  • Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  • Select the Hardware tab.
  • Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  • Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button."

I'll see if this prevents it from auto updating the video drivers!

HP Recommended

Hey mylivingeulogy awesomeness your fix really works!!!! 

I was literally at desperations door with this issue.  My system was completely unusable, I had to google around on my phone and found your fix.  Your instructions were clear and easy to follow.  I just signed  up for this account to send you this message - THANKS A BILLION, YOU'RE A STAR!!!!!!

Dear HP, you people are a complete waste of space, and I will never buy one of your devices again!!!!!

HP Recommended

Even though I enjoy tinkering with fixes and improvements when I don't have to, it makes me upset that we have to shovel HP's crap because we have no other option. Either throw laptop out the window or fix it yourself. Good there are ppl who spend their time researching and testing out possible fixes. Disappointing is that this laptop became a DIY project from the day it was bought.

But more important is: what specific errors have you guys experienced after the update, what's in the dump files? (use whoscrashed). Beside general statement no details here...?! Please describe your issues! beside talking about possible fixes.

HP Recommended

@mylivingeulogy wrote:

So my laptop crashed today, I was fearing the worst...

It turns out windows update automatically updated the drivers to the OEM supported drivers (the ones from 2017). I rolled back the drivers and everything is working fine again. Now i have to look into changing the registery so windows update doesn't automatically update drivers.

"

How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10
  • Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  • 2. Make your way to System and Security.
  • Click System.
  • Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  • Select the Hardware tab.
  • Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  • Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button."

I'll see if this prevents it from auto updating the video drivers!

I use group policy method to block automatic Windows update for specfic drivers. Read https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.