Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have an issue with charging my HP G62-b25SA notebook PC (on Windows 7 Home Premium).  I've noticed that when I plug in the adapter, the icon says 'plugged in, not charging'. 

However, I notice that sometimes it will charge for between a few seconds to about a minute (when I first connect the charger) with the orange light showing before I get the 'not charging' message and the light turns blue.

The charge does not seem to be going down unusually fast.

I have run a battery check with HP Support Assistant and it says 'The battery is functioning correctly but it needs to be calibrated...'

(Unfortunately, I can't calibrate it as I can't charge it to 100%...!)

I've tried blowing dust out of vents in case it was a heat problem - bit of dust came out - doesn't seem to have made much difference though! I also tried removing the battery and start/ shut down and then replacing it and booting up- read somewhere it might help, but didn't appear to. 

Also quite bizarrely, I left the computer switched off overnight (without the charger attached) and this morning when I booted it up, it had more charge than last night (about 50% instead of 40%). When I shut it down, 10 updates automatically installed - don't know if this had anything to do with it??

So really I just wondered if anyone can suggest what might be wrong? Should I buy a new charger or perhaps a new battery? Or is there anything else I can try? (I've read somewhere about installing HP battery driver instead of Windows 7 one - not really sure what this is all about though!) 

Thanks 🙂 

Mel

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi Mel,

Try the following.

First of all, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the notebook down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the notebook on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shut down the notebook again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue at all.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I tried this solution. Did not help me.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have a similar problem. I too have HP G62 with windows 7. Have had this laptop for more than two years and gor the battery replaced about six months ago after it went dead. The new battery started acting up about a month ago. Now the charging stops at 17%-18%, after that the icon says pluggeg in, not charging. Hvae tried cleaning the batttery vents, uninstalling and reinstalling the ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery its has no effect at all. 

The HP Battery Check shows different results at various times. When on AC Power, the battery check says Status: Replace.  

However, when I perform the chek on battery, the result says Status: Callibirate. I can't do that as the battery wont charge to a 100%. Please help. I just got this new battery.

Ayesha

HP Recommended

i have the same problem on my hp G62 1 year old , i even replaced the battery and i get the same problem after couple hours

HP Recommended

thaks but didnt work

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same problem. You most likely will have to order a new adapter. Thats what I had to do. The HP 90W Smart AC Adapter works well. Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

Hi

I have HP G62 battery icon shows plugged in but not charging.

When I check HP battery check, its says invalid without AC adaptor but when I check with AC power then its says replace battery.

Could you please explain what should I do?

Thanks

altfhn

HP Recommended

Solution worked like a Swiss watch on my ENVY dv7

HP Recommended

Hello Mescalero,

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved with your HP Envy dv7! If you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Thank you 🙂

I worked on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.