Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My HP G62 Notebook keyboard function keys have media uses by default such as skip, stop, louder, quieter, wireless on/off. I rarely want that at all. But I do use them for terminal emulation function keys. To do that I have to hit FN all the time before using them. Can that be changed?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start to enter the bios menu and see if you have the option described in the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

If you do, remember to press f10, select Yes and hit enter to save the change.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start to enter the bios menu and see if you have the option described in the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

If you do, remember to press f10, select Yes and hit enter to save the change.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

For the G62, the BIOS Action Key need for FN should be manually DISABLED, as your link teaches how to do. 

This not only makes the F# keys do as expected without FN for us terminal emulator dinosaurs, it also makes those "Action keys" require the FN shift so it's impossible to turn off my wireless signal accidentally.

A win-win !

Thanks, David - and I did kudo you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and I'm glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Just bought a new HP laptop but  need to change the function keys so when I tap PF3 i get PF3 functionality not brightness. I tapped the f10 key after power up, got to the bios, changed the key settings to enabled, F10 to save and hit enter to save changes  but it didnt work and I still need to press FN + the key for PFK functionality. I did it again and the option is there in the bios but it doesn't work. What else can I do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.