Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 455 G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello
I I'm trying to update the HP drivers/firmware using Powershell with a HP tool.
* I tried HP Image Assistant as it looks the newest thing. (HP Image Assistant 5.1.2.19143)
But it does not find several updates. Updates that are found using HP Support Assistant.
To check this I've also run a debug:
.\HpImageAssistant.exe /debug /operation:analyse /action:list /silent /category:all /reportfolder c:\.logs\hp
In the debug file is at the end: "-- Exiting with exit code: 256"
"Exit code 256 The analysis returned no recommendations." (from the manual)
and also: " Exiting with exit code: NoRecommendations"

* When I then run HP Support Assistant: its shows 3 driver updates ! (attached screenshot)

What is going wrong ? How can I solve this or should I use HP Support Assistant and not the newer (?) HP Image Assistant?
Thank you
Ugo
HpProbookUpdatesFound.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ugge 

True - it appears that the suggestions do not fit your enterprise size deployment.

Checking one system to determine the reason for any discrepancy is reasonable.

So, no, I do not suggest you check 800 devices.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ugge 

Judge whether the HPSA application is a "better" choice than the HPIA software.

Check for yourself whether the suggested updates are actually necessary.

Open Category Software, Drivers and Firmware 

If the "detection" algorithm fails to find and open your Operating System Version,

Check / adjust the setting manually

Open each sub-category manually or click "Open All"

Find the Update for which you have a question and open that section.

Check your Device Manager to compare whether you need the update.

Decide which method you want to use (HPSA or HPIA) OR decide to check / update manually (perfectly acceptable).

Example

Probook_455_OS_Version_Check_1Probook_455_OS_Version_Check_1

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ProBook 455 G8 Notebook PC 

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

ello

1. Thank you for replying.
    "Judge whether the HPSA application is a "better" choice than the HPIA software."
    Hp website advises to use HPIA, so I followed their advice, but it misses updates.
    If HP has two programs wit the same goal, then the same goal should be reached by the two programs. The result of the two should be equal. Which is not.
  2. "Check for yourself whether the suggested updates are actually necessary."
    The goal is to automate and install all the latest drivers: if HPSA tells those drivers are needed, then its needed.
    Else what is the point of using this software?
  3. What you suggest as action is to do stuff manually, on +800 devices, that's not what I want, and I think no one wants that.

kind regards

Ugo

HP Recommended

@Ugge 

True - it appears that the suggestions do not fit your enterprise size deployment.

Checking one system to determine the reason for any discrepancy is reasonable.

So, no, I do not suggest you check 800 devices.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi
1. Perhaps my cli used for HPIA is wrong?

2. Whith your experience what tool would you advise?
Its for silent deploy/installation of many (existing & new) HP's (using MDT & powershell).
HP Image Assistant
or
HP Support Assistant

Thank you

Ugo

HP Recommended

UPDATE

The drivers found by HPSA are optional (only noticable when you klick on the "?" sign)
Today there are even more optional drivers found by HPSA, including a chipset driver.
So I'll go with using HPIA instead of HPSA.
@Dragon-fur: thank you for the help, and indeed I should have checked this first (optional or critical,...)

HP Recommended

@Ugge 

You are welcome.

Good Luck with the deployment operation.

For those reading ...

HPIA Information and Download

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Scroll to the bottom of the Website for additional information and links.

HP Image Assistant is a free tool that aids IT Administrators improve the quality and security of their PC Windows image by diagnosing the image, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and analyzing their PC’s readiness for migration between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

HP Image Assistant can be downloaded at the HP Manageability website.

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

From the Image Assistant Web page:

Example - HP Image Assistant - HPIA - Main / Secondary Tabs  Summary / Recommendations

HPIA_V5.1.3_Download-Install_1HPIA_V5.1.3_Download-Install_1

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.