Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-da2340ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my HP laptop has been really annoying and turns off randomly while I am using it. This can be frustrating as a student working on papers and then finding that it just randomly turns off and I lose all my work and progress with whatever I am working on. I would really love some help because I have not found another discussion board with this specific problem. It's pretty frustrating because it seems like this laptop is never perfect and always has something going on that can be annoying. ie.

it Randomly shuts down.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@vishesh2004 

Edits - Add comments regarding Windows 2004

Try / Consider

===========================================================

Less likely, the system could want to restart after Windows Updates.  You can check Windows Updates history to see if this is / has happened. 

Possible but not something we can check for you:

The system might be shutting off due to a software error caused by a particular program you are running.  In many cases this sort of error might just interrupt Windows - sometimes, though, the "rogue" or misbehaving program might pull down the entire system.

Task Manager > Performance > Open Resource Monitor

Check online for help to run / understand / interpret the Task Manager and the Resource Monitor.

Less likely, if you are using HP Support Assistant and you have left the Settings to allow Automatic backups, the updates will / can happen out from under you.  You can adjust the Settings to "Check but not install" updates.  Optional, of course.

If you migrated your Operating System beyond the version of Windows supported by your HP software and drivers, you could have all sorts of weird issues and "bumps" when using the computer.

See:

TKB Article contributed by HP Expert WAWood

Updating your laptop to Windows 10 v2004 -- May 2020 Update

Test the hardware in the computer.

A failing hard drive, for example, can cause the system to suddenly shut off.

What to do Today and every day that you continue to use the computer?

Do keep all your data (files and folders) backed up to other than on the computer itself.  Current backups are essential to protect your data.  If the computer suddenly becomes unusable, it will be too late to backtrack.

You mention losing your work - you might best increase the frequency of your backups.  For example, File History can be adjusted to accommodate several options.  Be sure the backups are being sent to other than the local computer, else the exercise of making backups is worthless if the computer becomes unusable.

AND

Consider saving copies of your papers in the cloud where you can retrieve the document(s) if necessary.

Run Component Tests – How to

Testing for Hardware Failures

Suggestion:  For the purposes of the testing, disconnect extraneous equipment.  For example, disconnect head phones, unplug external disk drives / USB sticks, "extra" stuff.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Notebook - 15-da2340ne

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the assist.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.