Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hello Everyone,

I have a "HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC" with Windows 8.1 and is almost two years old.  A few months ago I had my laptop on my lap and it randomly turned off, after turning it back on it did not charge above around 84%.  Every now and then I would plug it in to charge and it would say "plugged in, not charging" so I fixed the issue by turning it off, taking the battery out, turning it on, uninstalling  Microsoft ACPI-Control Compliant Method Battery, turning it off, putting the battery in, turning it back on, and the ACPI-CCMB would update and it charged back up to around 84%.

As of about a week ago, that stopped working. I've tried updating the ACPI-CCMB, doing the above multiple times, and nothing works. I noticed the recommendation for the HP battery utility but 1) that didn't work in the past when it wouldn't fully charge and 2) the computer has a 0 percent charge and will not hold a charge, so in the step where it says to turn it on unplugged, my computer won't turn on.

After trying to use the HP battery utility a few things happened. 1) I have to mash the escape button in order to access the menu, pressing it when the logo appears like it says does nothing. 2) When I tried to run the battery test, it said 2 minutes remaining and 1% complete before freezing the computer up and after pressing the power button it instantly turned off.

I don't know if I need to get a new battery or if I just need to try something I haven't heard of yet.

Thanks for your help.

-Kadratos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Kadratos,

That information is a strong indication that the battery needs to be replaced, it is not being read properly. 

Using the product ID you provided I was able to find the maintenance and service guide for your notebook.

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

On page 47 the battery part number is listed:

4 cell, 41 Whr, 2.8 Ah, Li-ion battery - 756743-001

If you purchased an extended warranty with the notebook, you can call into HP Support:

Contact HP Worldwide

If not, you can purchase a battery from the HP Part Surfer or other trustworthy sales websites using the battery part number: 756743-001

HP Part Surfer

Have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Kadratos,

Thank for seeking the HP Forums for assistance.

I have read your post and understand that the battery is not charging in your HP Pavilion 15. I would like to help you resolve this issue.

I see you have completed some troubleshooting steps but please attempt a hard reset. Once that is complete, follow the steps from these documents:

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Not Detected

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎

HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista)

For more specific information please provide the product number.

Finding Your HP Product Number

I look forward to your reply!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help FlashRam! After running through all the suggestions you gave I think the result is that I need to buy a new battery.

Updating the BIOS allowed me to start the computer faster and access the system diagnostics menu by pressing F2, and this time the test actually worked. After running the test it told me the battery needs to be replaced and gave me the failure ID GLXPGX-74E84E-MFPV7G-C0EF03 (and my product ID is G6U06UA#ABA if you need that).  So, this leads me to believe that I need to replace it.

Also an interesting side note, when using the HP Support Assistant Battery Check, after running the test it returns an answer of "Unknown". (Picture if you are curious using an imgur link) And in case I didn't mention it before just so I have it written on here, I have tried a hard reset and the computer will not turn on without being plugged in.

If I really do need to replace the battery then just let me know, I would appreciate someone backing me up before I buy a new battery. Also, do you know off the top of your head where I can buy a replacement battery at?

Thanks again for your help.

-Kadratos

HP Recommended

Hello @Kadratos,

That information is a strong indication that the battery needs to be replaced, it is not being read properly. 

Using the product ID you provided I was able to find the maintenance and service guide for your notebook.

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

On page 47 the battery part number is listed:

4 cell, 41 Whr, 2.8 Ah, Li-ion battery - 756743-001

If you purchased an extended warranty with the notebook, you can call into HP Support:

Contact HP Worldwide

If not, you can purchase a battery from the HP Part Surfer or other trustworthy sales websites using the battery part number: 756743-001

HP Part Surfer

Have a great day!

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.