Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey all,

During inactivity, the screen of my laptop will turn black to save power (think this is called a screensaver?).
After a few seconds, my laptop will freeze on the black screen. You can hear the laptop running and all, but pressing any button won't work. The only way to shut it down is to press the power button for 5 seconds. Does somebody know how to fix this?
I have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050, intel i5 8th gen and run Windows 10 if this is of any help. 

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Yvester
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:  

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open the HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next, create a new power plan from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04752217

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey,

I do had to install a new driver update and a bluetooth update. I had to do the driver update for my NVIDIA card 2 times, since the first time it failed to install. I also created a new powerplan, so my screen will turn black after 10 min or so. When I'm playing a song on Spotify or downloading something, my laptop doesn't freeze. Today my laptop froze again after inactivity. So updating the driver didn't help apparently. 

Any new thoughts? 

Yvester

HP Recommended

@Yvester

Thank you for posting back. 

As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, I would recommend reinstalling Windows Operating system will fix the issue.  

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.