Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was setting up my EliteBook and in the software and drivers section for the support page for this notebook I found and downloaded/installed HP ProtectTools Security Manager. I installed it because i wanted to use the fingerprint sensor with logins. During setup while i was enrolling my fingerprints i had successfully enrolled a couple fingers and on the last finger I was going to enroll it scanned successfully the first time but the second time i swiped my finger it did not respond at all, as if i didn't even touch the computer. I tried again and once again, no response. So I tried one more time and suddenly the application just disappeared (it crashed) but it left me with no error message or anything. So i opened up the Security Manager app from the start menu and went to rerun the setup but just before it gets to the enrolling fingerprints part it now asks me to swipe my fingerprint from an already enrolled fingerprint to verify my identity but none of the previously used fingers work. In fact, none of my fingers work. Is there anyway i can wipe the stored fingerprints and start over new?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The HP ProtectTools security manager software is not supported for W10.

Uninstall it, restart the PC, and install the W10 HP Client Security Manager software which replaced the ProtectTools software.

HP Client Security Manager provides enhanced Windows login and website single-sign-on capabilities. Security Manager is also the host for HP Client Security plugins, and therefore should be installed before other Client Security modules. This package is provided for supported computer models that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74101.exe

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The HP ProtectTools security manager software is not supported for W10.

Uninstall it, restart the PC, and install the W10 HP Client Security Manager software which replaced the ProtectTools software.

HP Client Security Manager provides enhanced Windows login and website single-sign-on capabilities. Security Manager is also the host for HP Client Security plugins, and therefore should be installed before other Client Security modules. This package is provided for supported computer models that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74101.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! that solved my issue!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.