Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre Bluetooth® Mouse
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Spectre Bluetooth Mouse 500 to go along with my HP Spectre x360. Quite often when using the mouse wheel, it just travels very fast and I have to go back to where I was. Upon some investigating, this is a "feature" of the mouse called Hyper Scrolling (Swipe a finger for ultra-fast scrolling when you need to go the distance). I guess I swipe too fast too often, so the mouse is almost unusable.

How can I disable this feature?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey there! @dcwebman, Thank you for joining the HP Forums!  

I understand you would like to know how to disable hyper scrolling on your Bluetooth mouse.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.  

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?  

Please provide the product number of your laptop to assist you better.  

As you mentioned you would like to know how to disable hyper scrolling on your Bluetooth mouse.

Try the steps recommended below to disable scrolling on your PC.

Open Mouse Properties by clicking the Start button The Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type mouse, and then click Mouse.
Click the Wheel tab, and then do one of the following:       
To set the number of lines the screen will scroll for each notch of mouse wheel movement, under Vertical Scrolling, select The following number of lines at a time, and then enter the number of lines you want to scroll in the box.
To scroll an entire screen of text for each notch of the mouse wheel, under Vertical Scrolling, select One screen at a time.
If your mouse has a wheel that supports horizontal scrolling, under Horizontal Scrolling, in the Tilt the wheel to scroll the following number of characters at a time box, enter the number of characters you want to scroll horizontally when you tilt the wheel to the left or right.
Click OK.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot wireless mouse issues.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.  

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I thought that might be the canned answer as I had done research before to see of possible solutions. Selecing the number of lines or pages does not change the "hyper scrolling" feature. 

I have the Spectre x360 product number X7V22UA#ABA.

I have had the mouse for over a month so of course, there have been software changes on the laptop, especially with Windows. But just checking control panel again, there is nothing in the Mouse Settings that affects this "feature".

Thanks for your reply and hoping you have an answer.

HP Recommended

@dcwebman, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Is the touchpad enabled during using the Bluetooth mouse?

Does the issue persist when you use the mouse on a different PC?

Try disabling the touchpad on your laptop and check if the issue persists.

To disable the touchpad double tap at the top left corner of the touchpad area. This should disable the touchpad on your laptop.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

First things first, click the Start Menu by clicking the Start button in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Next, click on Settings to open the app. When the Settings app shows up, click on Devices.

Select Mouse & touchpad from the menu on the left to open up the mouse configuration screen.

You should see a slider. You can use it to set how many lines the scroll wheel should skip at a time for every scrolls. Simply hold and drag the slider to the number you want.

By default, the value of the slider is already set at “3”. If required, you can fine tune it to respond at any sensitivity between 1 – 100. If you want to enter a value of your choice for your scroll wheel’s sensitivity open up the link at the bottom of the page that reads “Additional mouse options”.

When the mouse dialog pops up, chose the “Wheel” tab adjacent to the pointer options under Mouse Properties window.

In the box that is displayed, enter the value for scroll wheel sensitivity you want. In the same box, you’ll find the option to link your scroll wheel to the “One page at a time” function.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps it is a hardware issue with the mouse, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The touchpad is enabled while the bluetooth mouse is working. Disabling it had no effect on the hyper scrolling feature.

I do not have another computer with bluetooth to test your theory.

I appreciate your replies, but I do not think you really understand what this feature does. And I thought you were HP Support. At least that's what it says in your profile information. Thanks for trying to help, but I guess I have to try to work my way through the HP support link you gave to find the next level of support.

HP Recommended

@dcwebman, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

I understand you are talking about the Swipe a finger for ultra-fast scrolling when you need to go the distance on the Bluetooth mouse.

There are no settings to change the scrolling speed of the Bluetooth mouse. The steps I suggest in my previous thread are the only steps to change the speed of scrolling.

However, you can contact phone support and check for support.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If anybody comes across this thread, I contacted HP Support and there is no way to disable the feature of hyper scrolling. It's interesting that the feature is apparently not in the software driver.

If you use the mouse wheel sometimes fast, you may want to avoid this mouse because you will get perturbed quickly. It's a shame because it is a cool looking mouse that matches the Spectre, and there are not that many bluetooth mice out there.

HP Recommended

@dcwebman,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Right! It has the nice spectre look, it is bluetooth but it is also not that cheap to simply avoid it or put it away once you already own it, so please HP add a way to control this behavior/feature that might be useful in some cases, but not for all of us.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Same here. The mouse scroll too much, where this behavior is non existent in other mouses. 

I regretted buying this mouse already

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.