Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ap052nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I purchased a 15-inch HP Spectre x360 in August, 2016, and though it's been a while, I've had a persisting issue since the very beginning. The issue is with PDF (and other documents like Word, Powerpoint etc.) continuous scrolling in general, on any web browsers (Chrome, IE, Mozilla, except Edge isn't so bad) and even in Adobe Acrobat Reader. The scrolling is extremely unsmooth and laggy. The pages are very choppy and trippy whenever I try to scroll through to the end of a document.

One thing I noticed, though, is that the side scrollbar indication shows that the scrolling is fine, but the pages on the screen doesn't seem to be able to keep up. So the pages and content just flash and jump on screen, until the scroll stops, and then it shows that current page. It's a bit hard to describe in words what it looks like, but just imagine a spinning slot machine that's meant to be smooth and fluid, but instead, it's chunky and flashy. Or, imagine a video speed of x1, that's sped up by 1.5 times, making the scenes skip a few more steps instead of gradually.

This scrolling issue is amplified when there are lots of images on pages, e.g., Powerpoint slides exported to PDF. And also worse when I zoom in the documents and try to scroll. Zooming out helps the lag a bit. I will also clarify that this occurs to DOCUMENTS ONLY. Webpages are fine. 

The reason why I've left the issue standing until now, is because I've always just shifted the blame onto the 4K display, that maybe the sophisticated display makes it hard for the system to process, or not optimised, for that matter. Or, I believe that since this Notebook is the first generation of its kind (being 15-ap052nr), perhaps there's flaws. UNTIL, I looked on another friend's newer generation of the 13-inch Spectre x360 (2017, I believe), where his PDF scrolling was effortless and fluid!

So we were just comparing each other's settings and options, and I tried decreasing the number of lines scrolling wheel - but the problem remained. I also have my hardware acceleration on Chrome turned on, which I believe helps make displays less choppy. Still the same. 

BUT THEN, I found out that his is the FHD display (1920 x 1080 resolution), not 4K (3840 x 2160 resolution). So perhaps it's an issue with resolution. But that's just my guess. I haven't looked at PDF scrollings of other 4K displays floating around. 

So please, any help would be appreciated. Except automated responses that never directly fixes any problems. I would appreciate an expert opinions or suggestions on this, and not just robotic answers. 

I would also appreciate if everyone took the time to read this whole post properly, before asking what's already been answered. 

This Notebook has 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, 15.6" diagonal, 4K display, Intel i7 processor, and Intel HD graphics 520. This is the full product specification, in case it helps. https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05051090

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Cherrie,

Have you tried checking with an external mouse? Does the issue persist?

Are you using the scroll on the touchpad or the screen itself to scroll?

Please share the product number of your laptop to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

If you are using the touchscreen to scroll try updating the touchscreen firmware to the latest version and check if it helps.

Update the touchscreen firmware using this link. Click Here

Also, update the BIOS and touchpad drivers on the PC to the latest version.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Update the touchpad drivers using this link. Click Here

Change Palm Check Threshold

1. Go to Mouse & Touchpad settings like we showed you in the Solution 1.
  2. Click Additional Mouse Options.
  3. Next choose TouchPad Tab.
  4. Click on Settings and go to Advanced Tab.
  5. Locate the Palm Check Threshold and move it all the way to the left.

If you still have issues, try the steps recommended below.

In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.
From the results list click TouchPad settings.
Click Additional settings.
Click the TouchPad Settings or the ClickPad Settings tab. If you have a Synaptics device, the tab includes the Synaptics icon.
You can adjust the TouchPad settings for scrolling.
Put a check mark in the check box next to scrolling to enable scrolling.
Also, put a check mark next to two finger scrolling to enable two finger scrolling.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! Thank you for getting back so quickly. 

Oh yes, the problem persists even with mouse, touchpad and touchscreen scrolling. So any method used to scroll has that issue - hence they're not the cause of the issue. It's something else, but I'm not sure what.

Which also means that updating any of mouse, touchpad or touchscreen softwares wouldn't do any good. Palm check threshold doesn't do anything either. I've also updated the BIOS a few times over the years, and none of them seem to have fixed the issue.

But this is the product number: T6T12UA#ABAT

I appreciate your help, but unfortunately they aren't appropriate solutions.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Cherrie,

Thanks for the update.

It should be an application specific issue or a driver issue.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Open Acrobat Reader DC, navigate to Help menu & repair the installation.

Relaunch Acrobat Reader DC & Enable Scrolling, now try to replicate the issue.

Also, Open the PDF file click on Edit > Preferences > Accessibility > Always use Page Layout Style > Single Page Continuous

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.