Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13

Hello,

WIndows Hello has stopped working a couple days after a windows 10 update. I tried removing Hello and setting it up again, but I wasn't able to since I found that the camera also wan't working either.  I used troubleshooting and restarting my device thinking this would help the issue. Though it did fix the camera and I am no longer getting a black screen and was able to go back and see my face when it was recorded for the Windows Hello setup, Windows Hello is still not working on the lock screen. What else can I do to fix this issue?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles93,

I read the quick reply. Thanks for the response. You've displayed great commitment, brilliant efforts and remarkable technical competence to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done.

A push-button reset the best route to go. However, before that please try to create a new user account as an administrator from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC and check if Windows Hello works on this account.

Otherwise, a push button reset may be required. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HI @Sparkles93,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums. After reading your post I see that you require assistance with Windows hello that does not work after a Windows update. It will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you try to uninstall and reinstall Camera drivers from device manager and check?

For now please try these steps:

• You need to also update you webcam driver as well. Please go to HP driver support page: http://hp.care/2syreDe  and download the latest driver. You can find the webcam driver in "driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input devices" Category.
  • Update the bios, chipset and Webcam drivers. Select the country and type the product# of the computer.
  • Then follow the on-screen instructions.
  • This should do the trick for you.

Otherwise, try these steps:

Cause:

• The following Group Policy setting does not currently allow log-on or sign-on through facial recognition:
  • Computer Configuration / Local Policies / Security Options
  • Interactive logon: Do not display last user name: Enable
  • By default, this Group Policy setting is disabled.
  • Resolution
  • To resolve this issue, change this setting to Disabled, or wait for the anniversary update of Windows 10.
  • Here's an article from Microsoft with the details you need: Click here

This should resolve the issue.

As a last resort if nothing works, then simply perform a Microsoft push-button reset of Windows 10 without causing data loss by selecting the correct options from this link: http://hp.care/2toQrBj

This will fix the issue.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your help. To answer your question, I did not uninstall and reinstall Camera drivers. Since my device is still under warranty, I was able to update the BIOS, chipset and webcam drivers simply by going through the Software and Driver Downloads without issue and without needing to select the country of type in the product number. After I updated the three, Windows Hello worked once, just when my laptop was restarting after the BIOS and chipset updates. I am hesitant to perform a push-button restart since I use this device for class.  Do you have any other suggestions for me to  fix this issue? Also, if I decide to wait for the anniversery update since that would fix the problem as you've stated, would you know when the next one  will be available?

HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles93,

I read the quick reply. Thanks for the response. You've displayed great commitment, brilliant efforts and remarkable technical competence to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done.

A push-button reset the best route to go. However, before that please try to create a new user account as an administrator from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC and check if Windows Hello works on this account.

Otherwise, a push button reset may be required. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles93,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cam here looking for a solution and your message doesn't say anything.  what do you mean by "push button restart"?  Are you saying that simply turning off the notebook using the power button may fix the windows hello issues?  then it said to create a new logal administrator account, which I did.  None of this seems like a "fix" 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.