Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-ac000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone!

After many many problems and trials to continuously fix my "plugged in, not charging" problem after every major Windows 10 update, I finally have a solution that works for your Spectre x360 laptops. 

HP Support has been very bad in assitsing this problem and most advices on other websites didn't solve the problem or only provided a temporary solution. I tried updating BIOS, doing changes in registry, updating and removing the power drivers, reseting the power options with commands, and others. Only thing I achieved with these is getting angry.  But I finally found my simple and quick solution which has been working very well and I hope it wil also help you! 

This solution only works if you have a software issue - if your battery is not damaged - and the problem is caused by a Windows 10 update. 

Since most websites suggest to "reset" the battery, it seems a good idea. But in HP Spectre the battery is not removable, so I found a workaround for it:

Step 1 - Unplug the AC adapter and let your battery drain to 0% and let it turn off. (Don't worry, you can still your laptop plugged in in case if this solution will not help you)

Step 2 - Once its off, with the power cable plugged OUT, press and hold the power button until ALL LEDs stop shining - especially the blinking light by the power outlet. (For me this took around 30 seconds)

Step 3 - Plug the power cable back in and it should start charging - the LED next to power outlet turned orange - a sign that it started charging.

Step 4 - Turn on your laptop and check if it works - I got the "plugged in, charging" message when I turned my laptop on! Yeppie!

So I hope this very easy fix works for you just as it did for me.  Once again - my problem has been caused by a Windows 10 update - it happens after some minor and all major updates. I think HP should really look into it to stop this annoyance, or at least provide a better support and more helpful solutions for the actual laptop, not just general solutions (their advice for HP Spectre includes removing the battery, which isn't a solution for a non-removable battery in this laptop. It is possible, but you need to open up your laptop. And I tried it - it didn't help, so don't bother, you will only annul your warranty in case if it didn't expire yet).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey everyone!

After many many problems and trials to continuously fix my "plugged in, not charging" problem after every major Windows 10 update, I finally have a solution that works for your Spectre x360 laptops. 

HP Support has been very bad in assitsing this problem and most advices on other websites didn't solve the problem or only provided a temporary solution. I tried updating BIOS, doing changes in registry, updating and removing the power drivers, reseting the power options with commands, and others. Only thing I achieved with these is getting angry.  But I finally found my simple and quick solution which has been working very well and I hope it wil also help you! 

This solution only works if you have a software issue - if your battery is not damaged - and the problem is caused by a Windows 10 update. 

Since most websites suggest to "reset" the battery, it seems a good idea. But in HP Spectre the battery is not removable, so I found a workaround for it:

Step 1 - Unplug the AC adapter and let your battery drain to 0% and let it turn off. (Don't worry, you can still your laptop plugged in in case if this solution will not help you)

Step 2 - Once its off, with the power cable plugged OUT, press and hold the power button until ALL LEDs stop shining - especially the blinking light by the power outlet. (For me this took around 30 seconds)

Step 3 - Plug the power cable back in and it should start charging - the LED next to power outlet turned orange - a sign that it started charging.

Step 4 - Turn on your laptop and check if it works - I got the "plugged in, charging" message when I turned my laptop on! Yeppie!

So I hope this very easy fix works for you just as it did for me.  Once again - my problem has been caused by a Windows 10 update - it happens after some minor and all major updates. I think HP should really look into it to stop this annoyance, or at least provide a better support and more helpful solutions for the actual laptop, not just general solutions (their advice for HP Spectre includes removing the battery, which isn't a solution for a non-removable battery in this laptop. It is possible, but you need to open up your laptop. And I tried it - it didn't help, so don't bother, you will only annul your warranty in case if it didn't expire yet).

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@KarinaVsl

Thanks for contributing to the forum. Interesting solution. It might work for other models with non-removeable battery. I suggest that you Reply again here so you can click the button Accept as Solution and help others find your thread with a working solution. Threads marked as solved show up in search on the forum.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hey everyone!

Step 1 - Unplug the AC adapter and let your battery drain to 0% and let it turn off. (Don't worry, you can still your laptop plugged in in case if this solution will not help you)

Step 2 - Once its off, with the power cable plugged OUT, press and hold the power button until ALL LEDs stop shining - especially the blinking light by the power outlet. (For me this took around 30 seconds)

Step 4 - Turn on your laptop and check if it works - I got the "plugged in, charging" message when I turned my laptop on! Yeppie!

So I hope this very easy fix works for you just as it did for me.  Once again - my problem has been caused by a Windows 10 update - it happens after some minor and all major updates. I think HP should really look into it to stop this annoyance, or at least provide a better support and more helpful solutions for the actual laptop, not just general solutions (their advice for HP Spectre includes removing the battery, which isn't a solution for a non-removable battery in this laptop. It is possible, but you need to open up your laptop. And I tried it - it didn't help, so don't bother, you will only annul your warranty in case if it didn't expire yet).

HP Recommended

Hello!

I happen to have the same issue but with a 15" model (Spectre x360 as well). I bought it brand new while on a trip to the US (I live in Chile) and began with issues after a couple of weeks. I hoped that the 'Global Support' offered during the first year to be of some use, but I regret to say that ended up very disappointed with HP's support.

In my case the issue is partially fixed with the solution you mention, as every time I use the laptop in 'battery mode', I have to do the same thing again.

I even bought a second charger just to discard any issues with the original one, but its the same: If I ever use it on battery, I have to turn it off unplugged, turn it on again and plug it in. Even the light next to the USB C charging port changes from white to orange (signaling that it is charging correctly).

I fear it can be a motherboard issue though, for even if annoying, I would be perfectly able of ordering and changing the battery by myself, but the motherboard will be probably much more expensive and complicated. I really love this notebook, but not being able to use it as it is supposed to and not receiving the offered support, really sucks 😞

HP Recommended

Your solution worked like a charm!! Thank you very much!!

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for this mate. It worked on my HP Spectre... I dread these Windows 10 Updates now; they always cause different issues. 

HP Recommended

The solution worked for me without having to let the battery drain.

HP Recommended

I've had this problem in various incarnations, same computer, win 10.

1st incarnation plug in charger does nothing, but the usb type C PD does

2nd incarnation plug in charger only charges when laptop is off, charging lights work normal, but when turned on, no charging

When charging fails, usually the little charging "symbol" on the battery icon (the addition of an AC cord and plug) shows for 12 seconds and then goes off. During this time, the charge led does not light.

Depending on which Win 10 update I have had:

1. sometimes everything works.

2. sometimes recalibrating the battery works (from the F2 key diagnostics menu at boot time)

3. sometimes plugging and unplugging the charger works

4. currently only the type C will charge the computer, charging icon comes on 12 seconds and goes off.

This is ridiculous, Microsoft should not be able to affect whether the system charges or not, all I need is software to cause trouble with a simple system.

Also HP is aware of this, there are many threads on this issue and specifically the Spectre 360, and they should make a way to stop anyone interfering with charging.

Simply put, the laptop should charge when power is applied. Period.

HP Recommended

Mine also is acting up after (or during) win 10 updates - several times during an update it has turned off, and refused to turn back on until the battery has drained and I've held down the power button a few times. It's a bit of a relief to hear it isn't necessarily a physical component failing.

Mine also won't charge at times, but this time I have found it will charge in ONE out of four possible configurations of the USB-C cable - only on the left side port, and only with the adapter facing a certain direction. If you turn it around, no charge. If you plug it in the right side port (in either direction), no charge. However, what makes this extra strange is that when booting in Linux, it swaps over - it will charge in any of those three configurations, and NOT in the other one.

It makes no sense and I regret choosing HP. I made an account just to share this in case the information suggests a solution to anybody.

HP Recommended

Same with me, this solution helped even when not draining battery first. 

In addition a few other observations... Seems to me that the PC or Windows is simply confused about whether or not a charger is plugged in. Before the fix, I can unplug the charger and press the battery icon and system says it's plugged in (but reports that it's discharging). When plugging in charger, charging lamp didn't change to orange. But then when I unplugged and and shut down Windows, I noticed that the charging lamp was orange, which it shouldn't have been, since it wasn't plugged in. Then I held the power button for about 10-15 seconds, waited for all the lights to go out, plugged in my charger and was happy to see the orange light come on as it should. Re-started PC and sure enough, problem solved, my PC was charging again.

Not yet sure if I'll have to repeat this process every time I use battery mode - will report back when I find out. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.