Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I down loaded and installed NVidia  2017 HG Video Driver 64bit on 9 February.  When I checked for updates on 15 February this same driver was listed.  Not checking I had already installed it I spent 380MB of download attempting to do it again - taking over 12 hours to not start installing.

Why could not HP Support Assistant see I had already installed the driver and not list it again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KW45

The short answer:

1.  The HP Support Assistant Software is not perfect.

You can set HPSA settings to Notify (as opposed to automatic download / install) > Check for Updates > When / If you find something on the list you don't want / need, set it to be removed / ignored.

2.  The HPSA is not the optimal tool to manage updates / HP software on your business class computer.

The longer answer:

If you like try replacing the HPSA on the computer with a fresh copy of the software:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

Download:

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator and install.

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Manage Downloads / HP Software updates on your business class computer:

Software and Drivers - HP ProBook 450 G5 Notebook PC

Category Software-Solutions

Yellow_Arrow_Bullet_2.jpg  HP SoftPaq Download Manager

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

This software is more complicated -- and it is much smarter, too.

Reference

Device Homepage

Drivers and Software, Videos, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, and more

HP ProBook 450 G5 Notebook PC

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KW45

The short answer:

1.  The HP Support Assistant Software is not perfect.

You can set HPSA settings to Notify (as opposed to automatic download / install) > Check for Updates > When / If you find something on the list you don't want / need, set it to be removed / ignored.

2.  The HPSA is not the optimal tool to manage updates / HP software on your business class computer.

The longer answer:

If you like try replacing the HPSA on the computer with a fresh copy of the software:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

Download:

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator and install.

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Manage Downloads / HP Software updates on your business class computer:

Software and Drivers - HP ProBook 450 G5 Notebook PC

Category Software-Solutions

Yellow_Arrow_Bullet_2.jpg  HP SoftPaq Download Manager

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

This software is more complicated -- and it is much smarter, too.

Reference

Device Homepage

Drivers and Software, Videos, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, and more

HP ProBook 450 G5 Notebook PC

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

HP SoftPac Download Manager was on my machine but I did not recognise its role.  Having now run it I agree it is much smarter and probably gives me more than I need.  There is info in HPSA that will continue to be beneficial but I’ll use HPSPDM for updates.

Thank you for your guidance.

HP Recommended

@KW45

You are welcome.

Just a side bar:

IF you have not owned a business class machine before, know that some of the security stuff can be "also more than you need", might be hard to Undo once set in place, and for many home users is just plain "overkill".

READ, READ, read before you install / set things like Sure-Key (watch out for this one), TPM, and anything else that looks like it might bite -- because likely it will do so.

On the bright side, the computer is software and hardware configurable in ways that consumer grade models only dream about.  Read and enjoy the User Guide when you get time... Smling.

Happy Computing!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.