Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 850 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Support Assistant is not able to show me the option to install driver updates on our G6 laptops. It works fine on our G5 laptops and looks to be a different version.

This is what we see in HPSA on our G5 laptops.

HPSA G5.jpg

This is what HPSA shows on our G6 laptops

HPSA G6.jpg

Clicking check for updates on the G6 shows a pop-up that says it is checking for new messages but nothing comes of that.

How do we use HPSA to get driver updates on our G6 laptops?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@EvilAlchemy 

Assuming the installation of the HP Support Assistant has already been completely removed and reinstalled, there is the chance that the software is not going to work as expected for your business class machine(s).

Reference

HPSA - Clean removal and (re)installation

Reminder:  Before you start, it is best that your Windows Updates are already current and installed.

1. FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

Important:  When / If asked whether you want to save any presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

1. Next, Uninstall HP Support Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features

NOTE:  HP Support Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.  For this reason, HPSA must be uninstalled before the Solutions Framework can be removed.

1. Restart the computer and log in. 

Final Check – Software is Removed

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click to uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Installation – HP Support Assistant

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

• After download:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Optional - After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

===============================================

What is HPSA?

HPSA is an "update" software - it can only "update" software and drivers that are already installed on the local computer.  It cannot search for uninstalled software that might be needed / wanted.

HPSA can only manage (update) the local system on which the HPSA is installed.  Any other device will be added in as "monitored" but not available to be updated remotely.  Monitoring results vary.

==============================================================

Although it usually works, it is possible that the HPSA will not cleanly handle BIOS updates.

Reminder – Manually Update the BIOS

NOTES

1. The suggestion to always manually install BIOS updates is based on my experience. 
  2. If you do not agree with this assessment, simply ignore the suggestion.

HP Documents – How to Update the BIOS

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

How to install BIOS Updates:

Always connect the computer to AC Power and leave the power connected during the entire BIOS update procedure.

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

Open HPSA Software

Settings > Set to “Notify” as opposed to “Auto-Update”

Save Changes > Restart the computer and log in

Open HPSA

Check for Updates > Use the list to determine candidates for update

• Click on each update in the list to see a short description of that package
  • If BIOS is offered, simply set to “ignore” or otherwise remove this update from list of potential updates
  • If desired:  Install other HP software and updates using HPSA or manually install those updates

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

==============================================================

What to do?

Consider using the HP Image Assistant to check / update / install software and drivers for your business class machine.

If you have a group of machines on the same network, if you require software that can manage and deploy HP software and drivers to these machines, consider using HP System Software Manager  (SSM)

Both HPIA and SSM can handle (update) fussy BIOS updates.

Business Class Software Update Managers

Client Management Solutions - Overview

HP Client Management Solutions support most HP commercial desktops, notebooks, and workstations.

Client Management Solutions – Manageability Tools

Available Tools and what they can do for you

Single System Management Software – HP Image Assistant

Many newer business (commercial) computers are supported in the HP Image Assistant management grade software. 

At this writing: If your computer was manufactured before the EOL date for the Software Download Manager, you can choose to use (or continue using) SDM.

HPIA Information and Download

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Scroll to the bottom of the Website for additional information and links.

HP Image Assistant is a free tool that aids IT Administrators improve the quality and security of their PC Windows image by diagnosing the image, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and analyzing their PC’s readiness for migration between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

HP Image Assistant can be downloaded at the HP Manageability website.

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

From the Image Assistant Web page:

Multi-System Deployment - HP System Software Manager (HP SSM)

“The HP System Software Manager (SSM) is a utility that automatically detects and updates BIOS, device drivers, and management agent versions on your networked PCs.”

SSM – Download, Release Notes, User Guide link

Single System Management Software – Softpaq Download Manager

SDM (at this writing) still supports many business class systems manufactured prior to the software's EOL (End of Life) announcement. 

The SDM software is no longer listed in Client Management Solutions.

NOTICE:  The Download Library marks SDM as "EOL July 2019"

White Paper on the subject (document may or may not load - access appears to be temperamental).  If the file does not open, try copy/paste of the address into your browser address bar (URL).

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/SDM_EOL.pdf

Partial Excerpt of the SDM "End of Life" PDF file content:

Confidentiality
This document can be shared internally & externally.

Introduction
HP is retiring HP SoftPaq Download Manager (HP SDM) on July 31st, 2019, it will be replaced by HP Image Assistant.

break...

Except continues:

Will I be able to continue to use SDM?
Yes, SDM, will continue to work and have access to updates (SoftPaqs) for older
products launched before July 31st, 2019. SoftPaq Download Manager will not be tested
with new product launched after July 31st, 2019. HP recommends using HP Image
Assistant to access updates to new products.

SDM Download and Help

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Once the SDM software is installed, the Help document can be accessed within the software or on disk:

• Open SDM software, Click the Blue Question mark “?”in the upper left of the main SDM window.
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > Select language appropriate .chm file

If you can do so, it is time to migrate to the  HP Image Assistant

==============================================

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

OR

HP EliteBook 850 G6 Notebook PC

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yes I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling and still don't see the item for updates in HPSA on G6 laptops. Where is it supposed to show? Why does it work differently?

On G5 laptops, I can see the version of the HPSA software is 8.8.

Where can I check the version of the newer software on G6 laptops? I don't see an About option.

Can I somehow install the 8.8 version of HPSA on G6 laptops? Or will they only use the newer version?

Thanks @Dragon-Fur for all the information. I will look more into HPIA and SSM for installing drivers. But right now I am troubleshooting HPSA as that is what I know how to use.

HP Recommended

@EvilAlchemy 

You are welcome.

I do not have any systems with the "new" HPSA installation - I cannot diagnose what it is doing - or not doing.

From your image, the only place I see to "check for updates" is the "Check for Updates and messages" link in the upper right corner.  ?

I would guess that the newer HPSA is required when the 8.x version is not installing - that is normal from what I have seen on the HPSA website.

In fact, although I do have a bit of working knowledge of the 8.x HPSA, I don't use HPSA.  I only have business class systems; I use HPIA / SDM (for older workstation) to manage the HP software.

I don't blame you for trying to stick with what you know.  Smiling.

One thing - if you have not done so, Sigh into the HP Support Assistant.  Use your HP Account - or, if you have an HP Smart / HP Connected account, use those credentials.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have seen this newer version of HPSA when it works and I am hoping someone knows how to get it working for these newer computers. I don't understand how HP's logic works for installing HPSA 8.8 vs 9.x. It seems it installs only 9.x on G6 laptops but I have seen both on G5s.

When it's working there is a box, among all the other boxes, that says "Updates". And that box is there whether there are updates to install or not. So I'm wondering why it is missing when installing the HPSA on G6 laptops, that seems to be the issue. I'm also hoping this is seen by someone within HP so they can work on fixing this issue if they were not aware of it.

Is the HP Elitebook 850 considered business class? I would like to learn to use HPIA or SSM if it would automatically install updated drivers during our SCCM imaging process.

HP Recommended

@EvilAlchemy 

Yes, the Elitebook is a business class computer.

Other examples (not all inclusive):  Probook, Zbook

More information - HPIA supported platforms:

HPIA Supported Platforms

I shall withdraw since I cannot help you with HPSA beyond what I have offered.

Yes, HPSA might work on an Elitebook - No, I cannot confirm that it will do so.

If you like, start a new thread - I promise not to answer - you may receive the assistance you need for the new Elitebooks and the newer version of the HPSA.

and / or

If the new G6 systems are under new warranty, you could try contacting HP Support.  Business class systems enjoy a decent warranty - some software support may be included, at least temporarily.  I would guess it would be suggested that you use the HPIA, but the question about HPSA is perhaps worth asking.

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Contact Official HP® Support | HP® Customer Support

Submit information / case online

Sign in or continue as a guest

Reminder:  HP Phone numbers you find on the Internet have likely been hijacked.

UK

For faster support, first submit information / case online: HP Customer Support UK

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

READ:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Reminders

HP Support does not publicly post contact numbers.  Please submit your case online

• Provide all the requested information to submit your online case
  • Explain the problem > Ask for help
  • Submit the case
  • After the case is submitted, Contact information for your area will be displayed on your screen
  • Reminder:  Wait times can be long – HP Response centers are very busy.

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).
  • Chat is not available in every region.  In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.
  • HP will advise you when there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.
  • HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by contract package.
  • Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  
  • HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Warranty Check

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

Warranty Dispute

Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

If the new G6 systems are under new warranty, you could try contacting HP Support. 

I have contacted HP Support for a different issue with HPSA in the past. Spent too much time in chat/on phone. They walked me through uninstalling/reinstalling the software, even though I told them I had already tried that. They ended up not helping me reach the solution. I found it on my own without their help.

I am choosing not to contact them if they are just going to waste my time. That is why I am trying out the forums today, hoping that some other HP forum participant has the same issue and can provide the solution.

If you like, start a new thread - I promise not to answer - you may receive the assistance you need for the new Elitebooks and the newer version of the HPSA.

But from your previous comments, am I to gather that because you responded to my post, no one else will open it or respond to it?

HP Recommended

@EvilAlchemy 

But from your previous comments, am I to gather that because you responded to my post, no one else will open it or respond to it?

Not necessarily true - someone may jump in.

On the other hand,

Should anyone have anything to offer, starting with a fresh thread may attract an Expert more quickly.  Depending on how you search / set up the way you look at the community, "Unanswered" threads show up differently than those with a response. 

I do not know whom I should tag in for this subject, else I'd put out a marker.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello

if I were you I'd rather unistall HP Support Assistant and install Hp Image Assistant.

bye

HP Recommended

mine is working okay i am just having problems with communication with it vocally.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.