Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I wanted to make sure I had all my drivers up to date for my computer because the ''Intel Driver Support Assistant'' told me there was one that wasn't up to date and to go to the manufacturer website. I downloaded the latest version of the ''HP Support Assitant'' to check if everything was up to date. It said ''You're up to date with software and drivers''. So I went on the HP Custumer Support website, in the ''Software and Driver Download'' section and let it do it's thing. It said the same thing, everything is up to date. But when I checked the list of drivers that was there, I found that there were a few that had newer version than what I had, like BIOS, Audio Driver and Graphic Driver.

So here I am. Is that a normal problem for the HP Support Assistant? How can I fix it so that it suggest to download these new version of the drivers? Also, is it safe for me to download these drivers manually from the list?

Thank you for the help!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Thik 

The is answer based on "Hp Spectre x360" as the model name.

There are a many different and individual Spectre x360 models.

Depending on whether the Software and Drivers download site is specific for YOUR one model or whether the site is meant to support more than one model of the Spectre Series, all the drivers in the download page might NOT be for your machine.

If the situation is best described as the second instance, that is, the site is meant for more than one model of the Sprectre, then it is certainly possible your machine is already updated and the site is listing drivers and software for other models.

This "some drivers not for your machine" would not be a "problem" for HP Support Assistant, though it is possible the HPSA cannot provide a message or an explanation for the seeming discrepancy.

=============================================================================

What about manual updates?

Be careful when updating the BIOS.

Even when everything is done "just right", there are risks associated with updating the BIOS.

Before you do so, in fact, best to have all your critical data backed up to other than the machine.

Why?  "Just in Case" it all goes sideways, you won't be stuck without your most important files.

In about 99% of the times you try to update the BIOS,

and IF that BIOS is not intended for your machine,

The update will catch the problem, warn you, and stop the Update.

In the other (about) 1% of the times, you can brick your computer by forcing the wrong BIOS update. 

Best to know what you are doing.

Unsure?  Ask about a particular model Product Number so someone can check that model.

How to find Product Number

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Reminder:  Do Not post the serial number or any private information in the Community – we are a public resource.

Manual Updates >> What about other "Not the Bios" drivers and software  - or "No Harm and No Foul" 

In general, the Windows Operating System is smart enough to keep you from installing drivers and software that are not intended for your hardware.  What?  If you try to install something that does not belong for any reason, you will normally be stopped from doing so. 

Installed is newer than listed

Finally, it is possible the drivers / software on your machine are newer than those found in Category Software and Drivers.  This "newer installed than found" situation might be the result of the way HPSA is able to track your machine and find updates.  Exactly how does that work?  HPSA has internal access to drivers other than just those listed in Category Software and Drivers.

==============================================================

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Thik 

The is answer based on "Hp Spectre x360" as the model name.

There are a many different and individual Spectre x360 models.

Depending on whether the Software and Drivers download site is specific for YOUR one model or whether the site is meant to support more than one model of the Spectre Series, all the drivers in the download page might NOT be for your machine.

If the situation is best described as the second instance, that is, the site is meant for more than one model of the Sprectre, then it is certainly possible your machine is already updated and the site is listing drivers and software for other models.

This "some drivers not for your machine" would not be a "problem" for HP Support Assistant, though it is possible the HPSA cannot provide a message or an explanation for the seeming discrepancy.

What about manual updates?

Be careful when updating the BIOS.

Even when everything is done "just right", there are risks associated with updating the BIOS.

Before you do so, in fact, best to have all your critical data backed up to other than the machine.

Why?  "Just in Case" it all goes sideways, you won't be stuck without your most important files.

In about 99% of the times you try to update the BIOS,

and IF that BIOS is not intended for your machine,

The update will catch the problem, warn you, and stop the Update.

In the other (about) 1% of the times, you can brick your computer by forcing the wrong BIOS update. 

Best to know what you are doing.

Unsure?  Ask about a particular model Product Number so someone can check that model.

How to find Product Number

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Reminder:  Do Not post the serial number or any private information in the Community – we are a public resource.

Manual Updates >> What about other "Not the Bios" drivers and software  - or "No Harm and No Foul" 

In general, the Windows Operating System is smart enough to keep you from installing drivers and software that are not intended for your hardware.  What?  If you try to install something that does not belong for any reason, you will normally be stopped from doing so. 

Installed is newer than listed

Finally, it is possible the drivers / software on your machine are newer than those found in Category Software and Drivers.  This "newer installed than found" situation might be the result of the way HPSA is able to track your machine and find updates.  Exactly how does that work?  HPSA has internal access to drivers other than just those listed in Category Software and Drivers.

==============================================================

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-fur, 

Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand correctly, even if the website identify my computer on it's own, it's probably showing all the drivers for all the Spectre x360 model and not only those for my model (product number N5R96UA#ABL). That would be why I thought there were newer version of the drivers available when there might not be. And the HPSA is probably right since it kinda ''search'' a bigger list of drivers than the list I was seeing. So I should probably just leave everything as is and not download anything, especially the bios since I could **bleep** up everything. I hope I got everything right.

Thank you for the help!

HP Recommended

@Thik 

You are welcome.

Software and Drivers 

Software and drivers for HP Spectre x360 - 13-4120ca (ENERGY STAR) 

There are no drivers listed for 2021,

Just a couple of listings for 2020,

Everything else is older, going back to 2015.

Yes, leave it be.  No need to touch a working system.

In fact, you likely don't need HPSA checking all the time for new drivers.

It is normal that an older system will need fewer and fewer updated drivers.

At this point, it is likely the only updates you will ever see would be those necessary for security.

Option for an older machine:

Switch OFF the HPSA automatic / scheduled check for new drivers.

Just open your Software and Drivers page once in a while to check for anything new.

HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_2HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_2

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4120ca (ENERGY STAR) 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.