Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g7-1156nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant works very very slow. I downloaded new HP Support Assistant program but that did not help. Otherwise my computer and other software seem to work ok. When I open HP Support Assistant it eventually comes up in maybe 20 minutes and then when I try to run any of the options, that also takes maybe 15-20 minutes. Does anyone know the problem and how to fix it?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Brent12

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

HP Support Assistant may be helpful application but it is not mandatory app to keep on your PC. If it causes you issues, you can safely uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and features

Uninstall:  HP Support Assistant  and  HP Support Framework

Prior to the uninstallation, you can open HPSA and take notice of your computer's serial number (S/N).

If you need to check for drivers updates, you can do this via Windows Update or Device Manager.

Here is how >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

>> http://www.howtogeek.com/98465/htg-explains-when-do-you-need-to-update-your-drivers/

Hope this works for you

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Rather laughable that the solution is to uninstall the HP support assistant. I can confirm that it is more often than not INCREDIBLY SLOW. I'm just rebuilding three new HP ProBook 430 G4 with latest version of Windows 10. At the moment, the first installation is the Intel Management Driver - this has been installing for over 45 minutes so far!

I can also confirm that normally it's the download that's horribly slow. HP need to add some more hamsters to the wheel that's powering their download system. My client also uses Lenovo - their equivilent is way, way faster.

This is when you have a rush job on to commission a new laptop...

sshot-1.png

HP Recommended

Dear @Rob-Nicholson

Thank you for your comment.

This is not a direct solution but an issue solved with a workaround.

On my HP computers which run with Windows, never had I had a single issue with HP Support Assistant (HPSA).

Of course, if the end user is not willing to go with the workaround, I am willing to advice steps to troubleshoot HPSA - however it may be a bit difficult to get it solved remotely, supporting it blindly without any kind of access or knowledge about the environment it is currently running on (OS, drivers, other processes, etc...). Hope this answers your query.

With regards to Lenovo - I wouldn't use anything from them. My personal experience with Lenovo systems and IBM has been awful. If you want we could comment them offline.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I just read this thread and I am really amazed that a so-calld HP Expert dares to suggest an uninstall of a certified HP product as a proper workaround for the fact that this product is just slow and not performing the way is should.

The main issue is that the entire HP web environment is slow and hardly proper searchable.

Even an individual download of drivers takes a long time.

Try to find proper information on Meltdown adn Spectre leaks; on HP you will not easily find the correct info let alone the latest updates for BIOS / Firmware.

With a leak like this HP should have one portal dedicated to remedy this kind of problems.

It is time that HP cleans up its act and pay more attention to their much paying customers

HP Recommended

Well at least it made those of us in the industry smile - one gets used to these canned responses from forum based support. To be honest, we can't complain too much as we're not paying (directly) for this support.

My take on the HP Support Assistant - their servers are simply overloaded and once it gets the download, it works fine. I work equally between HP and Lenovo and the later (now called Lenovo Vantage) just works.

I've been focussing/using the HP Support Assistant a lot recently because of a inherent flaw in HP Probooks whereby the audio drive either crashes or the audio fades out on a Skype call.

I'm often asked to recommend equipment. I had a lot of experience with Dell kit (but not for last three years) but had never used HP. My main client was convinced to switch to HP from Lenovo Thinkpads. Worst decision they ever made - nothing but problems and the support assistant is just one of the woes.

Quite interesting "Who lost the sale" here...

HP Recommended

I uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled it again, but I installed it on a different location, instead of the primary partition. That was it for me, now the downloads are somewhat normal and decent because it was too slow before. Way too slow.

HP Recommended

I followed your advice, and it definitely helped. Thanks a lot mate !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.