Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't know when this stopped working, but the HP Support Assistant on my PC is useless at the moment.  I installed the latest version from the HP site (where I am now posting), and it still does not work on my PC.    The HP Support Assistant version is 8.4.14.41, Framework 12.6.14.19, Configuration Files 8.0.7144.1419.

And as a sidenote - how annoying that I cannot copy the text from the support assistant to paste in this post.  All part of the poor software HP is producing, IMHO.

Here's the issue.... I open up the HP Support Assistant, then I go to My Devices/ Updates, then  click on "Check for updates and messages".  Even though I am connected to the internet, I get the message "You are not connected to the internet."  "An internet connectivity issue has been detected....yada, yada...launch HP Network Check....yada, yada."  So I launch the check, it runs a Network Diagnostics screen, goes through whatever check it does, then results a positive "Connection Status - No issues found with internet connection."  I click on the "Network Information" button, and under the Internet heading there is a URL - www.hp.com - along with a "Test URL" hyperlink.  I click on that link I I get the message that "www.hp.com: successfully contacted".

What?

So, the HP Assistant software is telling me that I am not connected to the internet when I check for updates, or messages, or try to sign into my profile through the HP Assistant, etc,, yet the same software tells me that I am connected when I do an HP Network check.  Who wrote this code?

If anyone out there can troubleshoot this software, I would appreciate it.   

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @pflipper,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance with HP support assistant not working correctly or performing the required updates. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. )

For me to assist you better I would require the complete model# or the product# of the unit.

• Did this begin after a software or windows update? Do you remember?

For now please try these steps:

• Please uninstall HP support assistant completely from control panel and programs and features.
  • Then restart the computer. Later temporarily disable all firewalls installed on the computer.
  • Create a new user account as an administrator from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC
  • and login to this user account.
  • Later download the latest version of support assistant from the HP support site http://hp.care/2tjM3R7 and check if this resolves the issue.
  • For further assistance please follow the relevant steps that best describe your current issue from this link: http://hp.care/2vcbKTL on how to troubleshoot HP support assistant. This should do the trick for you.  
  • All the time, please disable the firewalls on the computer. After it is up and running and connecting to the internet to perform updates, then you could re-enable the firewalls.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Tried that, uninstalled, restarted, I am already admin on the PC, turned off the Windows fireall, downloaded the same HP assistant version I downloaded before, ran it, and got the same message. Same issue - internet connection, but HP assistant says there is no connection. Dumb.

My PC info:

Product - HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

Product # - A5F76AV

Can't remember when this started happening, but from a perspective of well written code - what should it matter?  Make good software and you shouldn't have your customers worry about that.

HP Recommended

Hi @pflipper,

I read the post. Thanks for the quick reply. You've displayed great patience, terrific resilience and excellent technical skills to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. HP support assistant is a tested and trusted piece of software downloaded, installed and used by millions of Hp customers. At times I understand that the odd customer reports a problem with it. But several million others are satisfied with it.

There is more to it than meets the eye. There is a possibility some update to your operating system could also be causing this.

Here are a couple of links that have worked for other customers on the forum which have been shared.

Link 1: http://hp.care/2fDrH3B

Link 2: http://hp.care/2fDrL3l

Please try the steps from these links and check if they help. I hope this resolves the issue for you. As a last resort, you might need to backup your data and perform a recovery to factory settings which will definitely fix the issue for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The second link is only a link to a post saying you should download the latest version.  As I've already mentioned, this has been done.

The first link mentions that you should rework you network connections.  I have a virtual machine that is currently functioning fine  and connects to an open network based upon my main network conenction.  I am not going to upset the apple cart by messing around with that connection just make up for the deficiencies of some marginal piece of software. 

This again points to the lack of attention to detail HP has in making software work right.   Software should not display a message to users that they are not connected to the interest, then in another screen show that the network is connected.  This presents two totally opposite messages to the user.  Poor software design that needs to be fixed, not the user trying to configure their system to conform to poorly written code.  Cleary this is an issue that others have experienced, so mentioning that it works on many other machines is a lack of attention to the real issue.

When HP fixes this issue, please let me know.  In the meantime, I will just ignore this in the taskbar.

HP Recommended

Hi @pflipper,

I read the post and the feedback is taken.Thanks for the response and I will keep you posted about any future updates. 

Take care and have a great week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue on an EliteBook 8470p. 

I'also already tried all workarounds and none of them worked.

Just to let you know that you are not alone as the HP Support suggested 🙂 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, this is caused by Hyper-V virtual network.

To workaround this, open the network adapter through which you want to connect to the Internet, in my case this is the physical Ethernet adapter, go to Properties and uncheck "Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch". This should put check marks in all items EXCEPT "MS Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol" and "Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch".

You may have to disable all Hyper-V Virtual Adapters.

This worked for me, HP Support Assistant can now download updates.

HP Recommended
 wrote:

I have the same issue, this is caused by Hyper-V virtual network.

To workaround this, open the network adapter through which you want to connect to the Internet, in my case this is the physical Ethernet adapter, go to Properties and uncheck "Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch". This should put check marks in all items EXCEPT "MS Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol" and "Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch".

You may have to disable all Hyper-V Virtual Adapters.

This worked for me, HP Support Assistant can now download updates.

Thx, this is the correct diagnose, and also a working way around it.

HP Recommended

I agree with comments here pathetic HP Software!  Get it right HP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.