Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 450 g5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there

The last 6-odd times my Support Assistant has shown that I have messages or updates available, when I click to see what's there it ends up showing me none? That Is, it goes through the process of checking system compatibility, build action list - then no actions appear. I always used to see suggested updates, even if I chose not to install them.

Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@tonyfrompetone 

It sounds like the database on your computer that the HPSA is using to check / compile its list is out-of-date or "something" that has caused the check to fail / falter / misbehave.

You can take it all out - that is, uninstall the HP Support Assistant AND it's companion software - Reboot the computer > download and install a fresh copy of the HP Support Assistant.  When you (re)install the HPSA, the procedure also installs the companion software.

Should work, though I don't know how long the effects will last...

“Complete Cleanup” Uninstall of HPSA and companion software

Reminder:

• Before you start, it is best that your Windows Updates are already current and installed.
  • Before you make changes to your computer:  Create a Restore Point

Stop / Exit all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

1. FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

Important:  When / If asked whether you want to save any presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

1. Next, Uninstall HP Support Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features

NOTE:  HP Support Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.  For this reason, HPSA must be uninstalled before the Solutions Framework can be removed.

1. Restart the computer and log in. 

Final Check – Software is Removed

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click to uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Installation – HP Support Assistant

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

• After download:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Optional - After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ProBook 450 G5 Notebook PC

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the assist.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks. Tried that but I still got version 8.8.26.13 and don't recall being asked to select V9.(6.603.0) If I view "About" it shows that 8.8.26.13 is the latest version, even when asked to check for updates.

So - no improvement.

HP Recommended

@tonyfrompetone 

The website does say you will get the version right for your system.

?

It is unfortunate the complete reinstall didn’t fix it.

We just don’t have a lot to offer; the software is not open source.

I will get back to you tomorrow with another update option for your business class system.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks. Note my comment edit with a bit more info.

TfromP

HP Recommended

@tonyfrompetone 

I don't have any "fixes" for stubborn HPSA software.

There is little we can do about much of what HPSA does - or does not do. 

Normally, at least sometimes, removing both the HPSA and the Solution Framework software, including the personal data, will fix any "glitches" that are the result of the software not fully reading or tracking the updates.

"We cannot fix the software" not a popular answer, of course. 

No one wants to be told "No".

Few thank us for this answer, in fact.  Smiling.

What are a couple of the issues that "reinstalling" cannot fix?

Reinstallation cannot fix not having the machine plugged into AC power when automatic backups start.  Normally this won't matter - unless the machine dies during the update process.

Some software cannot be installed "unattended" (automatically).

Possible but unknown if true

HPSA may not be aware of the "unattended" restriction and might leave an update in the list for automatic installation.  If this is true, reinstallation of the HPSA software won't resolve this issue.  If HPSA is aware of the restriction and won't install the update (as is proper), the update might still be left in the list.

Examples of software that may not support unattended / automatic installation: 

Chipset drivers

Firmware

Port Replicator 

HP Image Assistant (Update software described in this message)

Example of software that can kill your computer even when installed correctly:

BIOS updates

=============================================================================

I did promise an "alternative".

This part of the answer is related to your situation but is not at all connected with HP Support Assistant.

===============================================================================

Business class computers support robust, comprehensive software tools for updating and managing HP Software and Drivers: 

HP Image Assistant

Be aware that the recommended update software is not Plug-N-Play.

You may need to read a bit about how it works to make best use of its capabilities.

Important:  HPIA can handle the fussy and sometimes dangerous BIOS updates - you still need to have the notebook connected to AC power during the entire BIOS update process.

Business Class Software Update Managers

Client Management Solutions - Overview

HP Client Management Solutions support most HP commercial desktops, notebooks, and workstations.

Client Management Solutions – Manageability Tools

Available Tools and what they can do for you

Examples

Single System Management Software – HP Image Assistant

Many newer business (commercial) computers are supported in the HP Image Assistant management grade software. 

At this writing: If your computer was manufactured before the EOL date for the Software Download Manager, you can choose to use (or continue using) SDM.

HPIA Information and Download

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Scroll to the bottom of the Website for additional information and links.

HP Image Assistant is a free tool that aids IT Administrators improve the quality and security of their PC Windows image by diagnosing the image, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and analyzing their PC’s readiness for migration between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

HP Image Assistant can be downloaded at the HP Manageability website.

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

From the Image Assistant Web page:

Single System Management Software – Softpaq Download Manager

@tonyfrompetone :

• I do not think you can use SDM software due to the age of your machine (too new). 
  • The information in this section is "FYI" for those reading this post.

SDM (at this writing) still supports many business class systems manufactured prior to the software's EOL (End of Life) announcement. 

The SDM software is no longer listed in Client Management Solutions.

NOTICE:  The Download Library marks SDM as "EOL July 2019"

White Paper on the subject (document may or may not load - access appears to be temperamental).  If the file does not open, try copy/paste of the address into your browser address bar (URL).

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/SDM_EOL.pdf

Partial Excerpt of the SDM "End of Life" PDF file content:

Confidentiality
This document can be shared internally & externally.

Introduction
HP is retiring HP SoftPaq Download Manager (HP SDM) on July 31st, 2019, it will be replaced by HP Image Assistant.

break...

Except continues:

Will I be able to continue to use SDM?
Yes, SDM, will continue to work and have access to updates (SoftPaqs) for older
products launched before July 31st, 2019. SoftPaq Download Manager will not be tested
with new product launched after July 31st, 2019. HP recommends using HP Image
Assistant to access updates to new products.

SDM Download and Help

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Once the SDM software is installed, the Help document can be accessed within the software or on disk:

• Open SDM software, Click the Blue Question mark “?”in the upper left of the main SDM window.
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > Select language appropriate .chm file

If you can do so, it is time to migrate to the  HP Image Assistant

Multi-System Deployment - HP System Software Manager (HP SSM)

“The HP System Software Manager (SSM) is a utility that automatically detects and updates BIOS, device drivers, and management agent versions on your networked PCs.”

SSM – Download, Release Notes, User Guide link

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I kind of sorry I asked now. Thanks anyway. I shall have to review your response to see what I can make of it. Lots to consider there.

Interesting your reference to the SDM as I have tended to find that temperamental and somewhat confusing also.

I can probably live with out either of those 'support tools' and my only concern is that my computer has the necessary updates installed, provides optimal performance and is secure.

Every now and again I receive an email from HP with various suggested updates, however they too contain confusing information including software updates with the same SP number as ones installed 12 months ago or more. Are they duplicates or updates to existing releases? I am careful to check and only install those that I consider necessary.

Overall I'm a little disappointed with HP as if they are going to offer products and solutions to their users, they should work. Having said that I know we don't live in a perfect world do we. Certainly no criticism of your personal support, mind you.

I will wait until I receive the new Windows May 2020 feature update and then try again.

Regards

Tony F. 

HP Recommended

@tonyfrompetone 

Yeah, I get that.  You are welcome.

It just so happens that the one thing for which you want an answer is not just "do this and it does what you want".

You are correct - PC is not a phone - lots more complicated than a smart phone. yes.  

Business class systems are not consumer systems - these notebooks, workstations, desktops, and server style shelf-systems include lots of benefits:  Business class machines are more durable,  they are meant to be upgraded and repaired in the field (so more options to do that).  Business class systems include better and more features, and more complexity.   Top of the Line Business class systems are powerful - you can design houses, cars, make movies, solve math problems,  or build engineering plans for a "widget" (anything you want).

To the extent that it can be done, Business computers have been made simpler to use - they are also in the group of computers that are sometimes used in Enterprise (work) environments, many of which may have internal IT departments.

Yes, it can be a "lot" to manage for the average person sitting in his home office.  Some of us thrive on it - others throw up hands and run outside.

Hang in there.

My advice:  

SDM is so much easier than HPIA, sturdy, intuitive, and pretty smart.

If SDM is confusing - I suggest you (for the moment) stay away from HPIA.

Stick with HPSA - it is not quite as smart but it will usually take care of the basics.

Last Words:

Do not install Windows 2004 until there are HP drivers to support it.

Run Away until then..

I am sorry the answer "got away" from us - the solutions are varied but do tend to get more complicated to find actual solutions.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Good advice re Win10 update.

Re SDM - i'm confused in as much as the download manager throws up dozens of updates, even when 'this computer' is selected, for all sorts of things, some of which I probably don't even have installed and some dating back to 2017. Some are already up to date as far as I can see and don't even need fixing. Bios updates are already installed and who knows what to do with 'critical' updates? I have installed a few 'recommended' updates but tend to ignore 'optional' ones. 'Later version available' is self explanatory I suppose, assuming the package is installed on the PC anyway.

I'm no fool, but I err on the side of caution so I don't make things worse. I guess I am saying things don't appear as straight forward as they might be.

I will prevail......

HP Recommended

@tonyfrompetone 

We are pretty far off track.  Smiling.

The intent was to try to repair HPSA - which, from your response, did not provide the results you expected.

The solution - “ignore “ what you know to be unwanted, or put Update in trash in HPSA.  Remember that trashing an Update within HPSA does not remove the update from your computer’s Software and Drivers.

========================================

SDM training is a separate subject and should be addressed separately from this thread.

SDM is also not perfect software - you are correct that you may need to “ignore” some of the more obviously unwanted updates.  I have done this for my Zbook.

I suggest...

Do take the time necessary to become more familiar with the SDM software.
If / When you have questions, start a new thread - be sure to include your Product Number and Windows 10 version.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.