Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 1DU07AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running Support Assistant version 8.8.34.31 and it says there is a new version available. I selected the option to download and install but it fails so I went to the Support Assistant page and downloaded it manually. Ran the install as administrator and got the message that the "CAB failed to extract".

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 21H1, OS build 19043.1288. Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@taherte2

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

I understand the latest HP Support Assistant version is failing to install. Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

1. In Windows, search for an open Uninstall a program.

2. On the Programs and Features window, select HP Support Assistant, then click Uninstall.

Figure : Uninstall HP Support Assistant

Uninstall screen from the Control Panel with HP Support Assistant highlighted
  3. Click Yes on the Programs and Features screen to confirm you want to uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Figure : Uninstall confirmation

Confirmation screen to uninstall HP Support Assistant with Yes selected
  4. Restart your computer to complete the process.

Next, install the latest version of HP Support Assistant from the HP Support Assistant website.

Hope this helps!              
Please click “
Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@taherte2

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

I understand the latest HP Support Assistant version is failing to install. Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

1. In Windows, search for an open Uninstall a program.

2. On the Programs and Features window, select HP Support Assistant, then click Uninstall.

Figure : Uninstall HP Support Assistant

Uninstall screen from the Control Panel with HP Support Assistant highlighted
  3. Click Yes on the Programs and Features screen to confirm you want to uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Figure : Uninstall confirmation

Confirmation screen to uninstall HP Support Assistant with Yes selected
  4. Restart your computer to complete the process.

Next, install the latest version of HP Support Assistant from the HP Support Assistant website.

Hope this helps!              
Please click “
Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I uninstalled the old version and still get the error that the "CAB filed to extract".

HP Recommended

Using 7zip to try and extract the current download sp135667.exe failed to extract the CAB file errors shows that there are CRC errors in the archive.  Many people are reporting the same issue on different HP hardware and various OS versions. HP please recreate your download and check it for errors before linking it to the downloads page.

HP Recommended

Sorry for taking so long  to respond. I've been dealing with some other things including lock ups since running HP updates. I uninstalled Support Assistant downloaded the update. Ran the install as administrator and it installed fine. Thanks for the help.

The lock up problems started after I ran HP updates and a BIOS update suggested by Support Assistant. I tried to rollback the BIOS update but got got an error trying to find the previous version. I then downloaded and ran a firmware update, which resolved the problem previously. Fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

@taherte2

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the suggested uninstall etc. and it still fails.

HP Recommended

@sprill
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue.  Support assistant does not show up in my program list so this solution DOES NOT work for me.  What is the deal with this HP?????????  Please fix it!

HP Recommended

I too cannot see the old hp assistant in order to uninstall. help please

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.