Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Linux

I have an HP ProOne 400 G4 20.0-in NT AiO AllInOne PC and in this PC HP SureStart with Windows it works very well but now I would like to know if HP Sure Start is a program that works only under Windows or is loaded and works at the BIOS level before the operating system loads. I ask this because I would like to install only a GNU operating system in the new notebook (which I still have to buy)
Thanks in advance for the answers

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@stecolumna 

Most likely, you will NOT be able to do that -- install a Linux OS into a new PC -- because the new ones come with Secure-Boot required and you can't disable that to allow installing another OS.  You would need to verify that is NOT the case before you buy a new notebook and we here can not help you with that because we don't have access to that kind of information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Dear WAWood, I answer late because I had to reread your answer (for which I thank you anyway). I own an HP LaserJet P1102w printer and an HP Scanjet G3110 scanner which work fine with Linux, so I think HP is more GNU / Linux compatible than other vendors. At this point I would like to know if there is a list of HP freedos notebooks on which I can install a GNU operating system without voiding the warranty? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.