Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I've had this notebook since 2016 or 2017. I have been using the antimalware scanner Hitman Pro on demand for a few years as well.  Hitman Pro is now saying that HP Touchpoint Analytics, which I assume came preinstalled on this laptop, is "spyware".  The scanner is flagging thousands of files.  I have had Hitman Pro ignore the findings so far, but I can't make this software exclude this program.    I contacted Hitman Pro support, and they are standing by their assertion that HP Touchpoint Analytics is spyware and that I should uninstall it.  They are citing an article from 2017.  They are also pointing me to an instruction page on HP's website for uninstalling Touchpoint Manager, which, as I understand it, is not the same thing and I don't even have on my system.  That is apparently for business clients, which I am not. 

I would like the HP Support Assistant to remain functional, and I am wondering if it would still work if I uninstall HP Touchpoint Analytics. 

Hitman Pro is not much use if I have to selectively sift through thousands of  entries to see if there is a finding, so it comes down to my having to choose between the two programs. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Crystal58 

I don't have TouchPoint Analytics on my workstation - not in Apps and not in Programs and Features.

HPSA seems to work fine, and has always worked OK.  In truth I do not use HPSA very often and then usually just for testing.   (Business class / commercial grade Workstation supports business grade update software.)

I do not have any TAInstaller log files newer than 2018 (Path:  C:\ProgramData\HP\TAInstaller)

Looks like the last time I had the software installed was in November 2018.

The following shows when the software was still installed and was about to be disabled. 

Touchpoint_Analytics_Service_Properties_1Touchpoint_Analytics_Service_Properties_1

If you are concerned, before you make any changes to the system, create a Restore Point.

(How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

OR

(As available)

Create a restore point now for the drives that have system protection turned on

Create

That is as much as I can say about the subject.  Not having the software installed and everything works as expected is pretty good testament --  it is not absolute proof.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Crystal58 

You can disable the setup in HP Support Assistant.

Open the HP Support Assistant Software

Settings

Scroll down to

Help improve HP product quality by sharing your usage of HP and non-HP software and hardware

Check / Mark the "No" option

Click Save to exit the menu and save changes

Example - HPSA Settings Menu

HPSA_Settings_V8.X_1AHPSA_Settings_V8.X_1A

What is Touchpoint Analytics?

Well written and easy to understand - this article discusses the subject of Touchpoint Analytics:

HP Alleged Spyware Just Routine Program, Company Confirms

According to the article,

Touchpoint is an application - if it is installed, it can be uninstalled:

Settings > Apps 

In the three years since the article was written, things might have changed - for example, the log files (if such exist) might be in a different location.

I cannot confirm any of this - I do have data collection set to "No" in HPSA.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

References

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you, Dragon-Fur,

My settings are the same as yours, except that I did enable notifications.  

Hitman Pro is flagging every little thing in the laptop with the name Touchpoint Analytics in it, which comes out to over 2,000 entries. 

I would like to be able to have a functional HP Support Assistant, since it does check for drivers and those would be drivers that should be specific for this laptop.  I had wondered if uninstalling Touchpoint Analytics would render the Support Assistant software nonfunctional.  Do you have Touchpoint Analytics installed?

The information the Hitman Pro tech gave me about uninstalling it takes me to an HP page about uninstalling Touchpoint Manager, which my laptop doesn't even have. 

I did come across this, and I'll be looking into it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/vulnerability-found-and-fixed-in-hp-bloatware/

HP Recommended

@Crystal58 

I don't have TouchPoint Analytics on my workstation - not in Apps and not in Programs and Features.

HPSA seems to work fine, and has always worked OK.  In truth I do not use HPSA very often and then usually just for testing.   (Business class / commercial grade Workstation supports business grade update software.)

I do not have any TAInstaller log files newer than 2018 (Path:  C:\ProgramData\HP\TAInstaller)

Looks like the last time I had the software installed was in November 2018.

The following shows when the software was still installed and was about to be disabled. 

Touchpoint_Analytics_Service_Properties_1Touchpoint_Analytics_Service_Properties_1

If you are concerned, before you make any changes to the system, create a Restore Point.

(How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

OR

(As available)

Create a restore point now for the drives that have system protection turned on

Create

That is as much as I can say about the subject.  Not having the software installed and everything works as expected is pretty good testament --  it is not absolute proof.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I'll try uninstalling it when I get a chance.  It looks like something that's not necessary. 

HP Recommended

@Crystal58 

You are welcome.

Remove - or disable - the software as you decide.

Happy Computing.

2020 year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Sain HP ohjeet HP Touchpoit Analyctics Client poistoon, mutta se ei poista mitään. Vaikka HP ohjelma näyttää, että poistettu käytöstä, niin se pomppaa heti takaisin, vaikka kerran poistuisikin? Ohje on aivan susi. En kaipaa mitään Prestalled ohjelmia tietokoneelleni. Kaikki järkevät päivitysilmoitukset otan vastaan, mutta ei mitään " tietojenkeruu" ohjelmaa. Kukaan muu ei näin törkeästi kerää muka etukäteistietoja. Varmasti anopin kengän numerokin löytyy maailmalta.

HP Recommended

@Moriz1 

Google Translation from Finnish:

I received HP instructions for uninstalling the HP Touchpoint Analytics Client, but it does not delete anything. Even though the HP program appears to be disabled, it bounces right back, even if it does once? Help is quite a wolf. I don't need any Pre-Installed programs on my computer. I accept all reasonable update notifications, but no "data collection" program. Nobody else is so outrageously collecting prior information. Certainly the anopin shoe number can be found in the world.

==================================================================================

English

NOTE:  The translator mangled the last sentence - I do not know what this means.

I no longer have the TouchPoint software installed - it was removed a couple of years ago from my system.   I do not remember it being difficult to remove.  Perhaps you must remove the HP Support Assistant first.  ?

I would guess the TouchPoint software is sensitive to the settings in the HP Support Assistant.

For example,

pen the HP Support Assistant

Open Settings 

Under

"Enable your PC to show contact options, warranty information, and important support messages."

Set the Option to NO (click the "No" circle)

==================================================================================

The HPSA is not mandatory software.

If you are satisfied to manually manage and keep track of your HP Software and Driver Updates, you may certainly uninstall the HP Support Assistant and its companion software HP Solutions Framework. 

Discussion / Opinion Only

Data?  What Data?

The data collected, assuming you set the HP Support to allow the collection, is not personal data.  Not. 

HP does not collect your personal data.  HP is not a social media collection site.  HP does not want to store you personal data, HP does not want to know what you are doing, HP does not care about your social or personal habits.  HP does like to know how their hardware is being used, how the software (updates) are being used (downloaded / installed). 

What to do?  Switch off the data collection in the HPSA or simply uninstall the HPSA and live without it. 

Still worried?  Laws differ in the world - in the USA our laws are not the same as in your region.

In general, you can reduce what is known about you when using your computer (regardless of Brand):

• Switch off all Notifications in Windows 10.
  • Switch off permissions for your Webcam and Microphone. 
  • Close your Facebook account - or at least never, ever access it from your PC.
  • Close any other Social Media accounts - or never access these from your PC.
  • Close access as much as possible through your browsers.
  • Set your Security according to your needs and preferences - read the manual / help on your security software to find out what it is really doing for you.

===================================================================================

Translation to Finnish

HUOMAUTUS: Kääntäjä mangoi viimeisen virkkeen - en tiedä mitä tämä tarkoittaa.

Minulla ei enää ole TouchPoint-ohjelmistoa asennettuna - se poistettiin muutama vuosi sitten järjestelmästäni. En muista, että sen poistaminen olisi vaikeaa. Ehkä sinun on ensin poistettava HP Support Assistant. ?

Luulisin, että TouchPoint-ohjelmisto on herkkä HP Support Assistant -asetuksille.

Esimerkiksi,

kynä HP Support Assistant

Avaa asetukset

Alla

"Salli tietokoneesi näyttää yhteysvaihtoehdot, takuutiedot ja tärkeät tukiviestit."

Aseta Asetukseksi EI (napsauta Ei-ympyrää)

================================================== ================================

HPSA ei ole pakollinen ohjelmisto.

Jos olet tyytyväinen HP: n ohjelmisto- ja ohjainpäivitysten manuaaliseen hallintaan ja seuraamiseen, voit ehdottomasti poistaa HP: n tukipalvelimen ja siihen liittyvän HP Solutions Framework -ohjelmiston.

================================================== ================================

Vain keskustelu / mielipide

Data? Mitä tietoja?

Kerätyt tiedot, olettaen, että olet asettanut HP-tuen sallimaan keräyksen, eivät ole henkilökohtaisia ​​tietoja. Ei.

HP ei kerää henkilötietojasi. HP ei ole sosiaalisen median keräyssivusto. HP ei halua tallentaa sinulle henkilökohtaisia ​​tietoja, HP ei halua tietää mitä teet, HP ei välitä sosiaalisista tai henkilöllisistä tottumuksistasi. HP haluaa tietää, kuinka heidän laitteitaan käytetään, miten ohjelmistoja (päivityksiä) käytetään (ladataan / asennetaan).

Mitä tehdä? Sammuta tiedonkeruu HPSA: sta tai poista HPSA yksinkertaisesti ja asu ilman sitä.

Oletko edelleen huolissasi? Lait eroavat maailmassa - Yhdysvalloissa lakimme eivät ole samoja kuin omalla alueellasi.

Voit yleensä vähentää sitä, mitä sinusta tiedetään, kun käytät tietokonetta (riippumatta merkistä):

Sammuta kaikki ilmoitukset Windows 10: ssä.
Sammuta verkkokameran ja mikrofonin käyttöoikeudet.
Sulje Facebook-tili - tai ainakaan koskaan koskaan, koskaan käytä sitä tietokoneeltasi.
Sulje kaikki muut sosiaalisen median tilit - äläkä koskaan käytä näitä tietokoneellasi.
Sulje pääsy niin paljon kuin mahdollista selaimesi kautta.
Aseta tietoturva tarpeidesi ja mieltymystesi perusteella - lue tietoturvaohjelmistosi käyttöohjeet / ohjeet ja selvitä, mitä se todella tekee sinulle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kiitos osallistumisesta HP-yhteisöfoorumiin.
Olemme HP-harrastajien maailmanyhteisö, joka on sitoutunut tukemaan HP-tekniikkaa.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.