Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Touchpoint Analytics spyware?

HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I've had this notebook since 2016 or 2017. I have been using the antimalware scanner Hitman Pro on demand for a few years as well.  Hitman Pro is now saying that HP Touchpoint Analytics, which I assume came preinstalled on this laptop, is "spyware".  The scanner is flagging thousands of files.  I have had Hitman Pro ignore the findings so far, but I can't make this software exclude this program.    I contacted Hitman Pro support, and they are standing by their assertion that HP Touchpoint Analytics is spyware and that I should uninstall it.  They are citing an article from 2017.  They are also pointing me to an instruction page on HP's website for uninstalling Touchpoint Manager, which, as I understand it, is not the same thing and I don't even have on my system.  That is apparently for business clients, which I am not. 

I would like the HP Support Assistant to remain functional, and I am wondering if it would still work if I uninstall HP Touchpoint Analytics. 

Hitman Pro is not much use if I have to selectively sift through thousands of  entries to see if there is a finding, so it comes down to my having to choose between the two programs. 

5 REPLIES 5
Level 15
Level 15
23,577 23,359 2,020 7,375
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Crystal58 

You can disable the setup in HP Support Assistant.

Open the HP Support Assistant Software

Settings

Scroll down to

Help improve HP product quality by sharing your usage of HP and non-HP software and hardware

Check / Mark the "No" option

Click Save to exit the menu and save changes

Example - HPSA Settings Menu

HPSA_Settings_V8.X_1A.JPGHPSA_Settings_V8.X_1A

What is Touchpoint Analytics?

Well written and easy to understand - this article discusses the subject of Touchpoint Analytics:

HP Alleged Spyware Just Routine Program, Company Confirms

According to the article,

Touchpoint is an application - if it is installed, it can be uninstalled:

Settings > Apps 

In the three years since the article was written, things might have changed - for example, the log files (if such exist) might be in a different location.

I cannot confirm any of this - I do have data collection set to "No" in HPSA.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

References

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Crystal58
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you, Dragon-Fur,

My settings are the same as yours, except that I did enable notifications.  

Hitman Pro is flagging every little thing in the laptop with the name Touchpoint Analytics in it, which comes out to over 2,000 entries. 

I would like to be able to have a functional HP Support Assistant, since it does check for drivers and those would be drivers that should be specific for this laptop.  I had wondered if uninstalling Touchpoint Analytics would render the Support Assistant software nonfunctional.  Do you have Touchpoint Analytics installed?

The information the Hitman Pro tech gave me about uninstalling it takes me to an HP page about uninstalling Touchpoint Manager, which my laptop doesn't even have. 

I did come across this, and I'll be looking into it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/vulnerability-found-and-fixed-in-hp-bloatware/

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Crystal58 

I don't have TouchPoint Analytics on my workstation - not in Apps and not in Programs and Features.

HPSA seems to work fine, and has always worked OK.  In truth I do not use HPSA very often and then usually just for testing.   (Business class / commercial grade Workstation supports business grade update software.)

I do not have any TAInstaller log files newer than 2018 (Path:  C:\ProgramData\HP\TAInstaller)

Looks like the last time I had the software installed was in November 2018.

The following shows when the software was still installed and was about to be disabled. 

Touchpoint_Analytics_Service_Properties_1.JPGTouchpoint_Analytics_Service_Properties_1

If you are concerned, before you make any changes to the system, create a Restore Point.

(How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

OR

(As available)

Create a restore point now for the drives that have system protection turned on

Create

That is as much as I can say about the subject.  Not having the software installed and everything works as expected is pretty good testament --  it is not absolute proof.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Crystal58
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you.  I'll try uninstalling it when I get a chance.  It looks like something that's not necessary. 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Crystal58 

You are welcome.

Remove - or disable - the software as you decide.

Happy Computing.

2020 year of Rat

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation