Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem as Nazrae stated above!!

This is extremely frustrating to say the least.  The solution provided was NOT a solution, but just a workaround by installing a previous version of the DriveGuard Software. 

My HP Assist has an update listed, the most recent version 6.0.44.1 released Oct 11 2017.  <--- This version gives me the message at startup "This App can't run on this pc. HP Accelerometer"

So .... I uninstalled it, restarted the laptop and downloaded sp81142.exe -  installed, restarted and guess what? Same thing!!

I have tried sp78033, sp81142, and sp8228 and they all give the same message after restarting, "This App can't run on this pc. HP Accelerometer"

I would expect HP to release an update to solve this, not a workaround.

Thank you.

HP Recommended
Exactly hayleyscomett.. I hope HP come out with a solution/ updated driver soon..

However, I am contemplating on uninstalling those updates from Microsoft then reinstall the driver and see what what happens.
HP Recommended
We shouldn't have to jump thru hoops though. With as many people who are having the same issue for some time now, a permanent fix should've been made available by now.
HP Recommended

@Amstaffmom wrote:
Yes. have restarted many times.

I recommend trying a Reboot in Safe Mode to successfully uninstall HP 3D DriveGuard. Here's how:

You will probably want to print those instructions before rebooting.

HP Recommended

Hayleyscomett and everyone else:

I recommend looking up the replacement for HP 3D DriveGuard among the current drivers for your specific product number (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers). The original solution may only apply to a handful of HP models. Plus, I suspect HP Assist may pull from a cached list of drivers. Therefore, it might not get mistakes caught and corrected as often as a published database would.

HP Recommended

I noticed something peculiar amidst having this problem and getting it fixed. While HP Accelerometer was broken , my laptop fan ran much less often. Now that it is fixed, the fan is back to running all of the time. Hmmm...

Update:

The overheating/fan issue turned out to be a problem in the SimplePass fingerprint reader (Validity Sensor) software. It hasn't been working since the first Creator's Update to Windows 10 and constantly consumed about 32% of my CPU. I uninstalled it and upgraded to a newer version and the problem went away.

Out-of-Date Drivers

I checked through all of HP's software and drivers for my computer to find that nearly half were out-of-date (on the HP site, not my computer). Some were several versions and several years behind up-to-date versions.

HP Recommended

I followed all of the instructions.  After installing the update, I have a little cdm box that is awaiting my typed instructions.  Now what?  Why is HP not including this update when we run the built-in HP update/upgrade tool?  There are never any new updates, but lookie lookie, one that you still have not included in the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

I am wondering if anyone wants to buy this piece of HP garbage from me?  I followed all instructions.  When the new one installed, I got a command prompt window, and had no idea what input I was supposed to type, so I closed it, came here, and asked.  I did not get an answer.  I restarted the computer, and discovered that I merely went in a circle.  I am back at that incompatability error message, and HP clearly does not have a working fix for their piece of garbage laptop.  I swear to God, that I will never buy an HP anything ever again.  Windows 10 has been out for how long, and HP still does not have the  WORKING  update incorporated into the HP support Assistant that is on this laptop?  Hello?  If you are not willing to support your own manufactured equipment, then I am no longer willing to support your paycheques.  I shall go to another brand.  Thanks for nothing.

HP Recommended

@Tsarina

I'm in the same boat as you as with many other HP users around the World who are affected by this debacle. However, we should restrain ourselves from doing workarounds for now as it will make us go round and round in circle. The latest HP 3D DriveGuard available since Oct 11, 2017 version is 6.0.44.1 Rev. A, which is currently incompatible with the latest Windows update version 1709.

I think HP didn't expect that the new Windows update would somehow render the feature inoperable. The best way is to wait it out until HP release a new update.

HP Recommended

I confirm what Nazrae mentioned about the updated DriveGuard not working. I never had any problems during uninstallation nor re-installing the latest version. But, the error message returned after the next boot. So, for now, our hard disk drives are just as vulnerable as the other 99.9% of drives out there without this type of untested software that theoretically helps protect them slightly during impact.

Tsarina: If the error message gets to you that bad, just uninstall DriveGuard. I think you'll be fine without it for now (unless you drop your laptop a lot). And, if you really are so fed-up with HP products that you wish to be rid of them, let me know. I can probably make you a lean, but reasonable offer to purchase.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.