Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just updated the Synaptics Fingerprint Driver ver 6.0.22.1111 thru HP Support Assistant.  After reboot, the Windows Hello Fingerprint stopped working.  Under Sign-in Options within Windows Settings, the Windows Hello FIngerprint states that "This option is currently unavailable, "We couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows Hello Fingerprint".

It was working fine before the update, using ver 6.0.17.1111

I'm using HP Envy 15 x360, Windows Home 64bit.  It's a new notebook, purchased less than a week.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The HP Support Assistant automatically updated to the latest Fingerprint Driver Ver 6.0.22.1111 without me triggering a manual install.  Seems to be working, although I had to remove existing fingerprint and setup anew.  Device Manager no longer show issue with the Biometric device.

However, within Windows 10 Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options.  Particularly, under Required sign-in, it's grayed out for 'If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?' and says "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown".  

Is this normal?  Does it have to do with the HP Fingerprint Driver side or Windows 10 side?  The previous Fingerprint Driver Ver 6.0.17.1111 also had the same issue... it being gray out for Required sign-in option.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Johnnyay

I suggest you update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Next update/reinstall the Synaptic driver from Device Manager

- Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
- Look for Biometric Devices and expand the List
- Look for Synaptic driver then right-click it, and select Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
- If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click the Synaptic driver driver and select Uninstall. Restart your Notebook and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

You can also refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06243676 for more information on Set Up/Sign-in Options for Windows Hello 

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've checked the current BIOS, it's running the most updated ver F.06.  

I've since tried to revert back to the old Fingerprint driver of 6.0.17.1111 Rev.B by downloading and running the exe file from your HP site.  It did not revert back.  I've since reverted back to old driver by using the Restore Point prior to the update.  So, it's currently running the old Fingerprint driver of 6.0.17.1111 Rev.B again.

However, there was an issue with the Windows Update which failed for the most current built (10.0.18362).  This update have failed prior to my updating to the latest Fingerprint driver.  I've since solved this by running the Windows 10 again. 

So, now I'm wondering if the original Fingerprint driver update to newest was related to the Windows Update failure issue.  Or was there an inherit issue with the latest driver, itself.

My question now is whether I should try to update the Fingerprint driver to the latest release (6.0.22.1111) again?  Have your Knowledge Base recorded other users with the Fingerprint error after updating to the newest driver?  Although, it may still be early as the driver came out less than a week in your HP support site. 

Appreciate your recommendation and feedback.

HP Recommended

@Johnnyay

Try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

These updates will only install the latest and relevant drivers fro our PC.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The HP Support Assistant automatically updated to the latest Fingerprint Driver Ver 6.0.22.1111 without me triggering a manual install.  Seems to be working, although I had to remove existing fingerprint and setup anew.  Device Manager no longer show issue with the Biometric device.

However, within Windows 10 Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options.  Particularly, under Required sign-in, it's grayed out for 'If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?' and says "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown".  

Is this normal?  Does it have to do with the HP Fingerprint Driver side or Windows 10 side?  The previous Fingerprint Driver Ver 6.0.17.1111 also had the same issue... it being gray out for Required sign-in option.

HP Recommended

@Johnnyay

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

There seems to be some limitation by Windows Hello which is a Windows issue

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Subsequent to closing the above case, the Biometric Device no longer working on the Device Manager once I refreshed the hardware.  I then uninstalled the driver then rebooted (which is your suggestion above) which reinstalled the Synaptic Fingerprint Driver 6.0.22.1111 and it seems to be working again.  

However, now the HP Support Assistant is showing that there's an new update to Synaptic Fingerprint Driver Ver 6.0.14.1111 (a much earlier version) which it tried to install but failed.  I've since set HP Support Assistant not to update for 1 month (the max deferred update time). 

What is wrong with the HP Support Assistant?  And how can I remedy this? 

HP Recommended

@Johnnyay

I suggest you try reinstalling the HP Support Assistant once again

First uninstall the program and reboot your Notebook

Next download HPSA from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've actually already reinstalled the HP Support Assistant prior.  It's currently running on ver 9.5.262.0.  However, for the link you've provided for download, the latest is only ver 9.5.192.0.  Does it auto upgrade once run the exe file?

What is your recommendation?  Should I delete the HPSA again and install from the download link file?

HP Recommended

@Johnnyay

Since the current version is not working, try installing HPSA from the Link and let me know how it goes

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.