Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi Guys, 

From a some period of time HP support assistant started to endless check if actualizatios are present with no possibility to go any further.

For eg. I cannot click any of the left bar icons. Only thing I can do Is just roll off by _ or close program by X.

Reinstal with (clear previous instances) doesn’t do antything more, just welcome window occures, and following window is as you can see.

Installed/reinstalled version

VERSION: 9.6.714.0 / 8.8.34.31

support asistant.png

Greg
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@zbookuser12345 

Edits - Add Restart to the suggestions for HPSA

This version (9.6.x) type of the HP Support Assistant is an application from the Windows Store.

As such, there is little to be done with it - or about it - when the application fails to work.

Options (you have likely investigated) 

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features 

Scroll down, Left-Click on the HP Support Assistant

Advanced Options

Reset, Uninstall... not much there.

Reminder:

If you uninstall the HPSA application from Apps and Features,

Before you download a new copy of the app from the Store,

Restart the computer and log in

Reference

Installation – HP Support Assistant

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

============================================================

What if HPSA won't work, never works, hangs, spins, and refuses to cooperate?

What else?

Fortunately, if your goal is to update the HP Software and Drivers, there is a business grade alternative for your business grade system:  HP Image Assistant

Business Class Software Update Managers

Client Management Solutions - Overview

HP Client Management Solutions support most HP commercial desktops, notebooks, and workstations.

Client Management Solutions – Manageability Tools

Available Tools and what they can do for you

Examples

Single System Management Software – HP Image Assistant

Many newer business (commercial) computers are supported in the HP Image Assistant management grade software. 

At this writing: If your computer was manufactured before the EOL date for the Software Download Manager, you can choose to use (or continue using) SDM.

HPIA Information and Download

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Scroll to the bottom of the Website for additional information and links.

HP Image Assistant is a free tool that aids IT Administrators improve the quality and security of their PC Windows image by diagnosing the image, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and analyzing their PC’s readiness for migration between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

HP Image Assistant can be downloaded at the HP Manageability website.

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

From the Image Assistant Web page:

HP Image Assistant Installation Path Notes

• The software installs into C:\SWSetup\<sp#> where “sp#” is the name of the installation package.
  • Once installed, PIN the software executable to Windows Start and or Taskbar
  • Optionally, the software executable can be “sent to Desktop” as a shortcut
  • When changing versions of the software, all the links and PINNED shortcuts must be updated manually

Example Path HPIA executable - Version 4.5.8.1

C:\SWSetup\SP103654\HPImageAssistant.exe

Example

HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

OR

Results for "zbook g6" (4) 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon,

I did clear application data also and no luck.

Maybe there is some problem:

On the HPSA specified site version:

https://www8.hp.com/pl/pl/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

9.6.714.0 / 8.8.34.31-insalled

On the page whrere I can check SW for my computer (through zbook SN) I see

9.6.703.0 / 8.8.28.13 Rev.A

So little earlier. I believe HPSA updated himselfe. I've tried to install older verion but once I try this i receive information that newer version already installed and installation interrupt. I tried many solutions with clear aplication data->uninstall->delete HPSA reg keys no luck. Every attempt I see newer version already installed even if I dont have one. I think installer/uninstaller  is underdeveloped and some garbages are left somwere in directiries or registry. Finally i installed 9.6.714.0 and same behavior as on the first post.
I'm not sure if this is an issue. 

What do you think?

Greg
HP Recommended

@zbookuser12345 

We do not have any control over HPSA beyond offering the standard tools for its operation, update, removal.

The application version available at the website is the current version available to be installed.

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

The version in your Software and Drivers might be different.  We recommend using the website to get the latest version.

Yes, the uninstaller might be faulty.

The uninstall might be leaving "something" in the machine.

Personally, I do not recommend editing the registry to pry HPSA out of the file system.  Might work, but I won't recommend anything that can harm the file system.

There is no reason to install an older version - even if you can do so, this is a case where installing an older version is not usually be better.

This application is like other Microsoft applications - whatever you do to the application must be done to the application in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

For example, Find the HP Support Assistant in Apps and Features > Left-Click on the application

Advanced Options

You can try terminate and then either the Reset or the Uninstall.

What else?

HelpDeskGeek > How To Uninstall Microsoft Store Apps

The article includes using third-party tools to pry stubborn apps out of your file system.  Note that even the authors of the article do not recommend using this method unless you are out of other options.

My recommendation:

If you cannot safely extract the HP Support Assistant from the system,

If you cannot live without HPSA,

Consider reloading the Operating System. 

This sounds extreme but it will work.  It is a viable solution when other options fail. 

OR

If you cannot get HPSA to work, then you do have the option to not use it.  Use the HP Image Assistant to update your business grade computer.  Admittedly, some of HPIA can do is not plug-and-play software - reading the documentation can help you become more comfortable with using the software.

This is a viable solution in that it meets the need to update the software and drivers without having to do so manually.

OR

Finally,

The standard hardware Warranty that comes with a Zbook is better than those for consumer systems.  This does not mean that software is going to be a covered item - the "better" warranty does mean you at least have a chance that you can get some help with the subject.

If your Zbook is still in Warranty,

Contact HP Support

Explain that you are depending on the application and that it does not work.

See if you can get them to help.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Submit information / case online

Sign in or continue as a guest

Reminder

HP Phone numbers you find on the Internet have likely been hijacked.

HP Support USA does not post public phone numbers.

Many roads lead to HP Support.

Settings > System > About > (Support) Online support > Contact an HP Agent

OR

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

OR

Regional Links

USA / Canada

HP® Customer Support - USA

UK

HP® Customer Support - UK

OR

>>> Option - HP Support is on Facebook <<<

HP on Facebook

Warranty Check / Product Registration

• Register your product during first setup or soon afterwards

Register HP Product and Registration FAQ

• Check the Warranty on your product

Warranty Check – Single or Multiple Devices

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries

• When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

Warranty Dispute

Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.

HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)

Standard Warranty, that is, the warranty included with the device, typically covers hardware as explained in the Warranty document.  Optional Care Pack warranties differ by contract.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your involvment. 

I would avoid to reinstal system regarding to HPSA faulty work. The device is still under warranty, but I'm affraid that service will do same job (reset the system). Device is my the only computer so I cannot afford for any unnecessery services. 

Yes. I can live w/o HPSA. It was very userfull tool. Once set up continuesly upgaded my laptop. But still I can do it manually. 

Maybe there is some problem with HPSA application, maybe next actualization will solve this problem. I just I quietly hoped that is some app malfunction and other customers had same problem. 

Anyway, thank you. 

Greg
HP Recommended

@zbookuser12345 

You are welcome, Greg.

You are right, of course.  Service loves a good Reset.  Smiling.

Honestly, I've seen a lot of issues with HPSA over the years (I've been here a long time) - the usual fixes might not work with the application version - the application provides the same function as the software (version 8.8.x) but the structure of the application is much different.  I've not pulled the application apart (it doesn't really lend it self to digging at it) - I am not familiar with the details.

Sometime after you have everything backed up, consider reloading the OS - not a full recovery, though you might consider that Reset. Optional, of course.  This should fix any underlying issues with the HPSA application.  IF there is anything in the File System that caused HPSA to die, the Reset will take care of that, as well. 

Reset cannot fix errors in your User Account.

What?

Try creating another account on the system, start with a local account.

Provide the account with a decent but unforgettable password.  Terrible memory?  Write it down - save however you wish as long as you don't lose the bit of paper...

After the account is created, edit the new account to make it type "Administrator".

HPSA should at least open, though you will likely have to log into the account (left column, top entry).

Or?

Lousy but workable Solution:

Ignore it for now.

Use HPIA to update.  HPIA is nice - worth a look, at least.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Finally HPSA jump in. I don’t know how. Firstly I installed HPIA to have substitute for HPSA as advised. Once I tried HPIA i gave a shot for HPSA installer. And voila HPSA successfully passed through installation process and run normally with new appearance. Maybe some lost lib was filled by HPIA? 

The only inconvenience now is that I have two HPSA icons on my taskbar, but one of them I can switch off by RM click and uncheck unwanted HPSA taskbar. 

Thank you Dragon for support. 

Greg
HP Recommended

@zbookuser12345 

You welcome for the assist.

I would guess whatever was causing the HPSA to fail finally cleared. 

Well, good news, then.

HPIA, that is, the HP Image Assistant is a fairly intelligent update agent.   

Consider its use should the HPSA decide not to work.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.