Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

basically several times a day active window blinks to inactive and back to active again

through process monitor and happy droid focus i found out that its HPupdate.exe keeps doing some operations several times a day stealing active window focus for a second

did several clean windows installs, (with deleting and creating main SSD partition)

but it still keeps happening

minimum programs installed, basically only nvidia drivers, directx, microsoft c++, karspesky antivirus and throttlestop

so have no idea what might be causing HPupdate.exe to do this and how to fix this (do not want to delete support assistant, since it has warranty information)

any solutions will be very welcome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Micpb 

Edits 2

Ignore the missing image - these must go through an approval process before they are available in the public view.

I can check the image...

OK - checked.

Yes, it appears that if you want to use Auto-Detect, the process wants you to install HP Support Solutions.

Sure.

Is that causing the issue you are seeing?

I don't know.

On the one system on which I have the application version of HPSA installed, I've never used auto-detect - so there is no "HP Support Solutions".

Original Content

I don't use "auto detect" - not even for my own devices.

That Auto-Detect uses HP Support Solutions makes sense, I think.

That I never use the feature likely explains why I've never seen the Support Solutions installed by itself, I guess.

Anything in the 9.x version range is the application version.

Yes, the original driver in your software and drivers category could be older than the updated version pulled from the website or from "updates".  This is normal - the drivers in the software and drivers are not always the very newest available versions of applications.

Sure, having removed the folder in the normally protected WindowsApps hierarchy could certainly impact what Windows sees.

If you created a Restore Point to protect the file system, you can run System Restore and "go back" the point before you removed the protected folder set. 

After you recover the folder set, if the message resumes and plagues you,

Try / Consider...

If I did not suggest it previously,

Try shutting off notifications in Windows.

For example

Notifications - Stop the Onslaught

Method – Set / Adjust Focus Assist (Windows 10)

Settings > System > Focus Assist

Set / Select "Priority Only" and create a customization / priority list

OR

Set / Select "Alarms Only"

Under Automatic Rules

Decide whether you want to "Do not Disturb" time - set those hours.

Switch everything else to ON

Optional > Check "Show me a summary of what I missed while focus assist was on"

Method - Switch off Notifications (Windows 10)

Settings > System > Notifications and actions >

Beneath Notifications, set the following to OFF

• Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows
  • Get notifications from apps and other senders

Method - Switch off Selected Notifications (Windows 10)

Settings > System > Notifications and actions > 

Beneath Notifications 

Switch ON Get notifications from apps and other senders

Scroll down to the list of "apps" > switch on / off each application

Optional

Switch OFF Show me the Windows Welcome experience...

Switch OFF Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Consider

Method - Printer Notifications (Recent versions of Windows)

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Left-Click one time on any Printer > (top ribbon) Print Server Properties >

Tab Advanced > UNCHECK the following

• Show informational notifications for local printers
  • Show informational notifications for network printers

OK

Method - Printer Notifications – Device Manager

Paraphrased from a Solution Contributed by  Bob_Headrick

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on your printer >

Printer Properties > Ports > Uncheck "Enable bidirectional support" >

Apply > OK

Relevant Thread: New HP 7855 - How can I turn off the printer notifications

=================================================================

What else?

I am out of ideas.

I cannot imagine anything else I can offer will be useful.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Micpb 

If the name of the file is "HP Update.exe" as opposed to "HPUpdate.exe" (one word),

then the following is the likely source of the issue.

The error / message is coming from old printer software and not from other parts of the Windows File system.

It is not all that common anymore as the error is an older one and only evident with older printers and older printer software.

Open the folder and remove the offending file name: HP Update.exe

Example

C:\Users\<YourAccountName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Reference

Method - Pop-Up Messages - HP Update

Reference Document

HP Update Software - Retired

Excerpted:

HP Update, also known as the HP Software Update Utility, has been retired and is no longer providing new software updates. When HP Update checks for updates, a No new updates available message displays.

HP recommends uninstalling HP Update with the Uninstall a program feature in Windows.

Side Bar:  This little application will likely sneak back onto your computer if / when you (re)install the printer software.  This is especially likely if the printer software is older than the date of the retirement for the application.  Rats.  Just check Programs and Features for HP Update and uninstall it (again).

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

hello, the file name exactly as i mentioned it, HPupdate.exe (one word)

full path is: C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPUpdate\HPUpdate.exe

there is no message pop up, just active window loosing focus for a second and getting back active again, happens several times a day

there is also no option to delete this program, since its not listed in the programs (only 2 HP programs that are listed - HP support assistant and HP System event utility), im pretty sure this one is a part of HP support assistant, i have one of the latest versions also

ps. i guess i can just delete or move the HPUpdate folder or exe file though

i also never connected a printer or installed any printer software on this laptop

HP Recommended

@Micpb 

OK - Not the same thing, then.  Was worth checking, I think.

"Framework" is the companion software to HP Support Assistant.

It is necessary to the function of the HPSA software.

Find this companion to HPSA  listed in Programs and Features as "HP Support Solutions Framework"

That the check is causing the loss of window focus is unexpected.

That said, I keep all notifications switched OFF and HP Support Assistant is banished to the Windows Start Tile menu.

What to do?

The interruptions can likely stopped by switching off the HPSA notifications.

Switch off the notifications for HPSA in Settings

Example - HP Support Assistant Software

Sign into the software using your HP account Credentials

Open and Adjust the Settings - Uncheck everything you can stand to live without...

HPSA_Settings_V8.8.X_1HPSA_Settings_V8.8.X_1

For those reading

HPSA actually comes in two types:

The aforementioned "software" version that is loaded onto older systems

The "Application" type of HPSA that is available from the Microsoft Store.

NO, you don't get a choice about which type runs on your computer.

That said,  the Settings area to switch off the notifications in the HPSA application is slightly different from the "software" version of HPSA.

Example - HP Support Assistant Application

Sign into the application using your HP account Credentials

Open and Adjust the Settings - Uncheck everything you can stand to live without...

HPSA_App_Settings_3HPSA_App_Settings_3

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

yes, i double-checked it as well, hoping is was an easy case with oudated program

i will switch everything off and will report back if it fixed it, or not

thank you

HP Recommended

@Micpb 

You are welcome.

If the software won't settle down,

Try / Consider

Uninstall the HP Support Assistant - next, uninstall the HP Solutions software (both in Programs and Features).

Restart the computer and log in.

Download and install a fresh copy of the HP Support Assistant.

The companion software will install automatically along with the HPSA.

Uninstall HP Support Assistant Software 

FIRST > Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Important:  When / If asked whether you want to save any presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

NEXTUninstall HP Support Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features

NOTE:  HP Support Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.  For this reason, HPSA must be uninstalled before the Solutions Framework can be removed.

Restart the computer and log in. 

==========================================================

Next

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After download:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, highlight the package and “double-click” to install it,

Else

Right-Click on the installation package Select Run as Administrator

After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Optional - After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

HP Account - Login / Dashboard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

so, here is an update on the situation:

removing checkboxes didnt help sadly

and i also was mistaken about the executable path

the real path to executable causing the problem was:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AD2F1837.HPSupportAssistant_9.7.433.0_x64__v10z8vjag6ke6\www\HPSFCopy\Resources\HPUpdate\HPUpdate.exe

the one i mentioned before, seem to didnt act up at all

uninstalling and installing new version of support assistant im pretty sure wouldnt help also, since i did several completely fresh windows reinstalls (with deleting and creating the main partition in system ssd), and the problem persisted with the newest versions of HPSA

so, basically i just manually gained access to the WindowsApps folder and deleted the HPupdate folder from the path mentioned above.. so far it seem to fix the problem

but honestly, i think HP should really look into this and fix it properly on their side. as i mentioned, my windows in a freshly installed version with minimum of drivers and programs, and HPSA seem to cause problems on it, and it definitely didnt do it before for about a year and a half (since i got this laptop). i maybe wrong, but think it started after 2H20 update

HP Recommended

@Micpb 

Yes, completely different.

True - When something in the Apps file paths are causing the issue, adjusting the settings rarely (if ever) would have an impact.

The path is in a protected part of the Windows File System.

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AD2F1837.HPSupportAssistant_9.7.433.0_x64__v10z8vjag6ke6\www\HPSFCopy\Resources\HPUpdate\HPUpdate.exe

Significant:

This path indicates that you do not have the Software version of the HP Support Assistant installed - OR if you do - that somehow you managed to install the Application version of HPSA.

For those reading

The "app" version of HPSA does not have a separate HP Support Solutions software "companion".

The "app" version of HPSA is located in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features (and NOT in Programs and Features)

The two types are not compatible and would not normally be installed on the same system.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

If you do indeed have both the software and the application type of the HPSA installed,

There is every reason to believe that something is indeed wrong.

At this point, I doubt anything except a fresh install would fix the underlying issue.

One of the types is wrong for your system - you should definitely not have both types on the computer.

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Reminder:  Never post the serial number or any private information in the Community – we are a public resource.

Open your device homepage

Open Category Software and Drivers

Open "All Drivers"

Do you see an entry for HP Support Assistant?

Click on it...

Note the version.

Random example

Software and drivers for OMEN by HP 15-dc1000 Laptop PC series 

Section Software-Solutions

HP Support Assistant

9.6.587.0 Rev.A138.6 MBJan 18, 2020

This example shows that the HPSA "type" is the application.

When installed, there will be no listing in Programs and Features for the HP Support Assistant.

There will be no "companion" software HP Support Solutions.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

hmm very interesting

ok my steps, what i do after the fresh windows install:

i just type the "hp drivers" into google

it takes me to the page Official HP® Drivers and Software Download | HP® Customer Support

after im choosing laptop, it says that i need to install some HP Support Solutions, for autodetect to work

during the install it gives me the option to install hp assistant now or later, i usually choose "now"

it installs some old version. after that i think i usually just go into the options inside the hp assistant and choose to check for new versions, it detects it, removes the old one and installs the new one (pretty different interface, more convinient one, thats why i do it)

thats pretty much the gist of it

currently installed version is 9.7.433.0

funny thing, autodetect on the HP website doesnt work again, maybe because i deleted HPupdate.exe?

but i just found my device by serial number, so it goes to this, this is my laptop:

OMEN by HP 15-dc1068tx Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

i think it has the same version there (9.6.587.0 Rev.A) but i somehow have 9.7.433.0 installed? or both?

ps. these are the steps im following, which lead me to install software solutions

Untitled-1.png

since i dont see any prompts, during step 1. i just follow instruction

but as far as i understood i shouldnt have software solutions installed at all? 

pps. i dont know why image doesnt show up in the post, it shows up during edit post

HP Recommended

@Micpb 

Edits 2

Ignore the missing image - these must go through an approval process before they are available in the public view.

I can check the image...

OK - checked.

Yes, it appears that if you want to use Auto-Detect, the process wants you to install HP Support Solutions.

Sure.

Is that causing the issue you are seeing?

I don't know.

On the one system on which I have the application version of HPSA installed, I've never used auto-detect - so there is no "HP Support Solutions".

Original Content

I don't use "auto detect" - not even for my own devices.

That Auto-Detect uses HP Support Solutions makes sense, I think.

That I never use the feature likely explains why I've never seen the Support Solutions installed by itself, I guess.

Anything in the 9.x version range is the application version.

Yes, the original driver in your software and drivers category could be older than the updated version pulled from the website or from "updates".  This is normal - the drivers in the software and drivers are not always the very newest available versions of applications.

Sure, having removed the folder in the normally protected WindowsApps hierarchy could certainly impact what Windows sees.

If you created a Restore Point to protect the file system, you can run System Restore and "go back" the point before you removed the protected folder set. 

After you recover the folder set, if the message resumes and plagues you,

Try / Consider...

If I did not suggest it previously,

Try shutting off notifications in Windows.

For example

Notifications - Stop the Onslaught

Method – Set / Adjust Focus Assist (Windows 10)

Settings > System > Focus Assist

Set / Select "Priority Only" and create a customization / priority list

OR

Set / Select "Alarms Only"

Under Automatic Rules

Decide whether you want to "Do not Disturb" time - set those hours.

Switch everything else to ON

Optional > Check "Show me a summary of what I missed while focus assist was on"

Method - Switch off Notifications (Windows 10)

Settings > System > Notifications and actions >

Beneath Notifications, set the following to OFF

• Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows
  • Get notifications from apps and other senders

Method - Switch off Selected Notifications (Windows 10)

Settings > System > Notifications and actions > 

Beneath Notifications 

Switch ON Get notifications from apps and other senders

Scroll down to the list of "apps" > switch on / off each application

Optional

Switch OFF Show me the Windows Welcome experience...

Switch OFF Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Consider

Method - Printer Notifications (Recent versions of Windows)

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Left-Click one time on any Printer > (top ribbon) Print Server Properties >

Tab Advanced > UNCHECK the following

• Show informational notifications for local printers
  • Show informational notifications for network printers

OK

Method - Printer Notifications – Device Manager

Paraphrased from a Solution Contributed by  Bob_Headrick

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on your printer >

Printer Properties > Ports > Uncheck "Enable bidirectional support" >

Apply > OK

Relevant Thread: New HP 7855 - How can I turn off the printer notifications

=================================================================

What else?

I am out of ideas.

I cannot imagine anything else I can offer will be useful.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.