Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-327c Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this is an HP forum but I tried to find out from Microsoft forums and no answer. I am wondering if there is a way to recover a Windows 10 product key from a non-functional computer? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the specs for your PC, it came with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

HP ENVY 700-327c Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It is possible that there is a W10 Pro product key in the BIOS with downgrade rights to W7 Pro, or there could be no W10 product key and a W7 Pro COA label on the PC's case with a W7 product key.

I don't know what you mean by non-functional.

There are degrees of non-functionality.

If it is a hardware issue, you would have to correct the hardware issue, so you could get into Windows and use the free showkey plus app to retrieve the W10 product key from the BIOS (f one exists).

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

If the PC works but you can't get into Windows, you can reinstall W10, and retrieve the product key that way (if one exists).

If the PC was previously running W10, you make a bootable W10 installation flash drive with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the media and you will be asked what version of W10 you want to install.

Select W10 Pro.

Then you will be asked to enter a product key.

Select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.