Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 830 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently bought an EliteBook 830 G5. Nice machine, has everything I need. However.

I work with numbers a lot and use the integrated numpad, that works while Fn key is depressed. The numpad is loated on keys Fn+:

7 8 9 0

U I O P

J K L ;

M . /

Note that asterisk of the numpad (*) is printed as Fn+P.

Problem is, this is also the hotkey for "maximum privacy" mode of HP's new fancy "Sure View", which narrows the view angle of the screen. The feature can also be switched on and off with F2, so there is no absolute need for Fn+P.

While it's a nice and wanted feature, I can't use the numpad properly. Whoever chose this hotkey is obviously not an engineer.

I can't find a solution for this.

I've found a small article in HP's knowledge base, which comes to conclusion that this does not require fixing, as is by design:

https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c06121988

Sure, conflicting your own features is by design.

Seeking for any kind of advice to disable the Fn+P for Sure View.

I am obviously not gonna stop using the numpad how I do, as I have my language-specific letters in the top number row and numpad is much more convenient when entering many numbers and working with calculator.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

No one?? How many laptops were sold?...

HP Recommended

Update for those future googlers.

Short answer: there's no fix.

Long answer:

So I was on a call with HP support, maybe 4 hours of chat, voice and remote desktoping in total without solution. They have called me back two days later and we had an hour or two of extra remote session and chat. I have moved to higher level support a couple of times, and they say they have actually consulted the engineers in those couple days.

The result is: Fn+P hotkey is hardcoded somewhere in display's firmware and, even though they will try to find to fix this with a BIOS update (eg. disable Fn+P when numpad enabled), it may be impossible to find a fix (or, more likely, it is too much effort).

One other possibility could be to replace the screen to one without integrated Sure View feature, but, as they explained, models without Sure View are of "lower quality" and also may be unsupported by the motherboard, so this is also not an option.

So for now I will be checking BIOS release notes, but the only quick solution would be to buy another laptop without Sure View. That's unfortunate, as I like this privacy feature and have actually paid extra for it (my laptop is a top spec model).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.