Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So when i was trying to install ubuntu i found out that there are already 4 partitions present, and i googled for help. I found this nice looking guide from a member of the hp community:

Spoiler

While the guide says that i could delete the system partition, I'm not sure. Could some of you give me advice?

Thanks in advance, grossie8118

P.s. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, so sorry if it isn't

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes Windows bootup depends on some of the files in there. Don't touch it. You only need one partition of maybe 60-70 gigs to run Linux acceptably. You can even mount the C:\ drive in Linux and share storage. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can definitely delete the recovery partition. Just make the recovery disks and store them away and you no longer need the recovery partition. Use that partition for Linux. You can use an extended partition scheme. I usually make a root "/", a swap equal to the size of the RAM and then a "/home" partition for Linux. Root needs to be like 25-50 gigs to hold the Linux kernel system files and then home is for storage. 

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply! But can i delete the system partition as said in the guide or would that wreck my pc?
HP Recommended

Yes Windows bootup depends on some of the files in there. Don't touch it. You only need one partition of maybe 60-70 gigs to run Linux acceptably. You can even mount the C:\ drive in Linux and share storage. 

HP Recommended
Thanks 😀, that really helps!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the kudos but the solution should be tagged to a post that has some information in it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.