Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream - 11-ak0035nr
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

I was trying to download League of Legends and a pop up told me that I needed to download it so I did. This made the file "Program Files (x86)" appear draining my storage. After some time thinking i just decided to delete LoL and use the computer for work-purposes only but I can't delete the Program file. After some inexperienced research I think that I made my 64-bit computer (or so I think it is) backwards compatible with 32- bit. Is there a way to make it incompatible again and delete the file?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Deadpool89916 

Every Windows 64 bit PC that I know of has two program files 'Program Files' is the 64 bit file folder and Program Files (x86) is the 32 bit file folder.

That is why the 64 bit versions of Windows require more disk space and memory than 32 bit operating system do.

You kind of answered your own question in your first post...64 bit operating systems are backward compatible with 32 bit programs, and I would bet my bottom dollar that folder was there before you installed the application you mentioned.

Here is a screenshot of my PC's file directory that I am typing this reply with...notice the x86 file.

Banhien is correct...if you manage to delete that folder somehow, most likely your PC will become inoperable.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1600522468767.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Deadpool89916 wrote:

...  After some inexperienced research I think that I made my 64-bit computer (or so I think it is) backwards compatible with 32- bit. Is there a way to make it incompatible again and delete the file?  

@Deadpool89916 

Why ? Many applications on your machine still use Program Files (x86) folder. Delete it will probably make your machine won't run at all.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Well the problem is that now I have 2 program files, the regular “Program Files” and the “Program Files (x86)”. My common sense is telling that if I have one then I don’t need the other. This is because the x86 files appeared after I tried to download a game and didn’t come with the computer. So I think I don’t need it to run the basic applications. 

ps. I don’t know what I’m talking about so if I’m wrong be sure to correct me

HP Recommended

Hi, @Deadpool89916 

Every Windows 64 bit PC that I know of has two program files 'Program Files' is the 64 bit file folder and Program Files (x86) is the 32 bit file folder.

That is why the 64 bit versions of Windows require more disk space and memory than 32 bit operating system do.

You kind of answered your own question in your first post...64 bit operating systems are backward compatible with 32 bit programs, and I would bet my bottom dollar that folder was there before you installed the application you mentioned.

Here is a screenshot of my PC's file directory that I am typing this reply with...notice the x86 file.

Banhien is correct...if you manage to delete that folder somehow, most likely your PC will become inoperable.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1600522468767.png

HP Recommended

Alright thank you. If possible could you answer another question of mine. Do 64-bit computers come with like 20+ GB of storage taken? Thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Pretty much so. 

Definitely no less than 16 GB of drive space used right after a clean install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.