Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp chromebook 14 smb
Chrome OS

My brother bought me an HP Chromebook because I am having surgery and will be bedridden for a while. I just found out that the Chromebook does not have the Google Play Store and there's no way that I can enable it. So my questions are is there any way to download games and music to my laptop without a Play Store? I pray someone will be able to answer this question for me if not I will have to return the laptop which will make my brother very sad because I don't have the item he wanted me to have during this time when I don't want to make my brother said thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MssevierHarris 

You are welcome.

We don't always get to provide the answer that is wanted.  Rats.

OK.

No - an eight year old Chromebook is not a likely candidate for upgrade or accessing services (that are) not intended for the old hardware.

My opinion:  Time to look for a replacement.

Tough time to find anything new right now.  Online Stores are jammed with holiday traffic - anything that says it will ship immediately might be "gone" by the time you click the button to purchase that device. 

Big Box stores likely have a few models of "something" on the shelves.  These are not the same feature packed devices you'll find at HP (or other full service online stores) - but the products is available and can be purchased and carried out of the store.  If this is an option, it might be worth a look.

What else?  Budget tight? A Kindle from Amazon might be worth checking (these are not "real" computers but they do support some basic functions).   Amazon likely has Kindles in stock.  It is, after all, Amazon.  Amazon also sells computers of several brands - again, not the same "top shelf" units available on the manufacturers online store website - but if the item is in stock and the device will do what you need - worth a look.

Good Luck.

Hang in there and heal quickly.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@MssevierHarris 

"HP" Chromebook is essentially a Chromebook with an HP name.

Each Chromebook might support slightly different features.

?

It appears that Chromebook does support loading apps for ChromeOS.

Use the following guide to set up your account and access applications:

Find apps for your Chromebook 

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

OR

Chromebook, one of:

Results for "Hp chromebook 14" (28)

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions.  Since then, I  have found out my Chromebook is 8 years old and this system does not support Google play so I don't  believe there is anyway for this system to enable the playstore.  With that being said, is it possible for a software upgrade or anything else I can do to make this possible? Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@MssevierHarris 

You are welcome.

We don't always get to provide the answer that is wanted.  Rats.

OK.

No - an eight year old Chromebook is not a likely candidate for upgrade or accessing services (that are) not intended for the old hardware.

My opinion:  Time to look for a replacement.

Tough time to find anything new right now.  Online Stores are jammed with holiday traffic - anything that says it will ship immediately might be "gone" by the time you click the button to purchase that device. 

Big Box stores likely have a few models of "something" on the shelves.  These are not the same feature packed devices you'll find at HP (or other full service online stores) - but the products is available and can be purchased and carried out of the store.  If this is an option, it might be worth a look.

What else?  Budget tight? A Kindle from Amazon might be worth checking (these are not "real" computers but they do support some basic functions).   Amazon likely has Kindles in stock.  It is, after all, Amazon.  Amazon also sells computers of several brands - again, not the same "top shelf" units available on the manufacturers online store website - but if the item is in stock and the device will do what you need - worth a look.

Good Luck.

Hang in there and heal quickly.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@MssevierHarris 

There is a roundabout way to get Android apps without using the Play Store -- but it is a lot of work and might not work properly for your Chromebook -- I have only used it on Android phones and tablets.

Android apps come in files ending in .apk -- these are essentially Android Packages.  You have to find the xxx.apk file for the app you need -- as I can not help you in that.

Once you find the file, you download it to your Chromebook.

Then, you have to go into Settings and enable the installation of third-party apps.  I don't know how to do this on Chromebooks, as I have no experience with Chrome OS.

Once you have done that, you simply click on the xxx.apk file and that will install the app.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Older Chromebooks did not have the ability to run anything Android, nor could they sideload an .apk.

@MssevierHarris  - try 

1. In a Chrome browser, type chrome;//extensions in the address bar, and then press Enter.

2. See what apps are listed for installation.

I had many other apps installed on my old Chromebook until it bit the dust...   😞

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

I will be seeking a new one. Thank you so so much for your help. Please stay safe and have a wonderful new year.

HP Recommended

@MssevierHarris 

You are welcome.

I hope the surgery goes well and that you heal completely and quickly afterwards.

This time of year there are angels in abundance to watch over us - always good to have an angel on your shoulder.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur Thank you so much for the well wishes it is greatly appreciated. I'm  slowly recovering. Thank you for being that Angel 😇on my shoulder. All the best..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.