Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product name: HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14m-ba1xx (14m-ba114dx?)
Product number: 1KT49UA#ABA

I have an external keyboard that works better than the laptop keyboard. How do I disable the builtin keyboard when the external keyboard is plugged into a USB port?

I've looked at the Device Manager, and there is no Disable functionality, and I can't tell one keyboard from another.

I tried uninstalling keyboard drivers and they got reinstalled when I restarted the computer.

Windows Home has no Policy Manager.

I also use an external mouse, but it successfully disables the builtin tablet okay (I already solved that problem by searching the web). I need a similar solution for the keyboard.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DavidSpector

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

you can temporarily disable laptop keyboard but not permanently:

1. Click on Start Menu and type in Device Manager
  2. Open Device Manager and find your Keyboards 
  3. Right click on it and hit 'Uninstall'

Now your keyboard will be temporarily disabled until you have to restart your laptop, when you turn it back on the computer will automatically reinstall the keyboard drivers.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This doesn't answer the question. Please read the question, thanks.

HP Recommended

@DavidSpector

Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, permanently build in keyboard cannot be disabled, however you can disable the laptop keyboard temporarily.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.