Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-bf108ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When you donwload any of the new drivers from HP support, is there any way to extract/unzip the exe files

Thank you

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Yes an advanced file compression utility like WinRar or 7-Zip will do it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, most of the files can be unzipped. Download app such as 7-zip and then right-click on the driver file and extract files.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for your fast reply I will try one of the programs now

HP Recommended

Hello:  I've downloaded the driver, clj4600pcl6winnt4-en and unzipped it, but, what's the executable file?  there's the license and set up text files, but which file is the auto-install?  Thanks in advance for your help.

HP Recommended

Hey, @Huffer and @iomare......and any OTHER "experts".....where's the answer to this question, the one about how there's NO EXECUTABLE FILE after you download and unzip the driver file from HP?

Is there some reason there's no .exe file after you've unzipped? Is it possible they want to sell us new printers, more than they want us to make our old ones work on our new operating systems?

Hello?.......anyone?.......especially "experts"????

Curious minds (with 'older' multi-thousand dollar printers sitting idle) need to know!

Thanks.

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
HP Recommended

(Apparently I've exceeded the maximum of TWO private messages, Huffer, so I'll answer you here:)

I did. That's where I found you.

Does your computer now allow you to click on hyperlinks?

Like this one: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/How-to-extract-unzip-exe-files/...

It's a direct link to your response to someone named Milan254 who asked 

HP Pavilion 14-Bf108ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

When you donwload any of the new drivers from HP support, is there any way to extract/unzip the exe files

Thank you

Your response was: 

Yes an advanced file compression utility like WinRar or 7-Zip will do it. 

Seems like it should be a good answer........But for the fact that after HP's print driver zip file is UNzipped......there's no .exe file amongst the 9 unzipped files.

Try it, you'll see what we mean.

The result seems to be the same with any of the zip/unzip utilities......... no .exe

(BTW, I'm getting a rude error message from HP when I try to send this to you that says, "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and send the message when you are satisfied."

Is it perhaps the link to the page on 

•  Re: How to extract/ unzip exe files............where you engage in a conversation about unzipping HP print driver files? I'm happy to send you screenshots if that's easier/better. Please let me know. Michael
  •  
  •  

Michael,
HP Recommended

Hi, David.

Thanks for trying to help.......BUT......after downloadin HP's printer driver file, lj4000pcl6winnt4-en.exe, and extracting the contents by unzipping it (regardless of which program is used) there is NO .EXE FILE amongst the 9 extracted files.

Therefore, impossible to execute/run/install.

Thoughts?

Michael,
HP Recommended

What in the world are you trying to do? And did I say there would be an .exe file after you unzip/extract the .exe file? 

That driver file is ancient. It is for a laserjet 4000 series to be used under Windows NT 4.0. The executable part is designed to be run under that long obsolete operating system. What you get then you extract the .exe file is the underlying actual driver files which can be manually installed  if you know how but I am not sure it can work on any OS except Windows NT. Pardon me if I do not remember all the details of an operating system that coexisted with Windows 95. So again the question what are you trying to do? 

Here is what I get when I unzip the .exe file:

.inf file is the driver.inf file is the driver

Let's discuss further when you tell me what you are trying to do. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

What happens if you do not unzip it and double-click on the actual downloader .exe file?

Regards,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.