Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15-AE103NA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm trying to install the Intel Management Engine Cumulative Security update from https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05843704. However, the installation fails with the error "This operating system is not supported" because I am using Windows 7 Professional rather than Windows 10.

How can I install this update within Windows 7 Professional?

Many thanks in advance for any response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I eventually found a solution so I'm posting here in case anybody has the same issue.

If you run Windows 7, you will not be able to apply HP's IME Security update, which only runs in Windows 10. To get round this, make a Windows 10 Windows To Go installation on a USB drive (16GB is marginal, 32GB is better) and install it from there. To make the Windows To Go installation, you will first need to create a Windows 10 VM (or make it on another PC that runs Windows 10). You'll also need a Windows 10 ISO and software to make the Windows To Go installation, such as Rufus.

I also found that the Windows To Go installation defaulted to Windows 10 S, which prevented HP's update from running. To get around this, press F8 when starting Windows To Go, and choose the option Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

Please note this is quite an advanced solution and probably only suitable for technically adept users.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

None of the software mentioned in your post were developed by HP, I would recommend contacting either Microsoft or Intel regarding this matter.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. However, the problem is not with the Intel software; it is with the HP installer which requires Windows 10. I'm hoping that HP may have an alternative installer for Windows 7, or an alternative method for installing the update to the IME.

HP Recommended

I eventually found a solution so I'm posting here in case anybody has the same issue.

If you run Windows 7, you will not be able to apply HP's IME Security update, which only runs in Windows 10. To get round this, make a Windows 10 Windows To Go installation on a USB drive (16GB is marginal, 32GB is better) and install it from there. To make the Windows To Go installation, you will first need to create a Windows 10 VM (or make it on another PC that runs Windows 10). You'll also need a Windows 10 ISO and software to make the Windows To Go installation, such as Rufus.

I also found that the Windows To Go installation defaulted to Windows 10 S, which prevented HP's update from running. To get around this, press F8 when starting Windows To Go, and choose the option Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

Please note this is quite an advanced solution and probably only suitable for technically adept users.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.