cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
CreamySmoothie
Level 1
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

How to increase disk space in HP Notebook?

HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, how can I increase disk space on a HP Notebook Model 14-an012nr? It has 27.8 GB of space.  It cannot keep up with installs so it's been awhile since Windows 10 has had updates. I use a flash drive but it does not help. I have tried to delete as much as I could of programs that I may not use but it does not increase space but there are some I leave alone as I do not want it to affect the computer operation. It says it has around 750 mb of free space of 27.8 GB. Anyway how can I increase the space or will it be better to buy a new computer?

Can you show me specifically how I can increase disk space? What I could try?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
137,876 92,538 21,276 28,579
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if the information I provided in this discussion at the link below is of help to you...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Not-enough-disk-space-0n-Stream...

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
CreamySmoothie
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I read through your posts, but I don't see how any of them will help. I have tried the flash drive and it gets stuck and the program does nothing but stay still, so that doesn't work.

I cannot install an app to clean the disk space, so that won't work until I can clean up disk space. I can't even install windows updates.  

I have tried compressing and deleting files but it still will not clean up enough space.

Can you guide me on what to do next?

I am sorry it took me some time to really sit down and try to understand your posts. Bear with me.  

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
137,876 92,538 21,276 28,579
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you better understand what I had posted in the link.

My guidance was to clean install W10 and that will give you a fresh start.

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,588 27,024 3,123 6,756
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CreamySmoothie 

You do not have to install an app to clean the disk space -- although those will help.

Both of these use apps already built into Windows:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
CreamySmoothie
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have clicked on every file shown and deleted. I bet some of them are new but since I have not had new updates in awhile, then I may not have some of them shown like system compression.

I used an empty USB and it doesn't help install.  The bar stays at 0% and doesn't budge. So frustrating.

Tags (1)
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation