Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion gaming laptop 15
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello everybody,

My HP Support Assistant is now constantly crashing every time I open it. Every time I open it, it loads to the dashboard and then crashes without an error code or anything. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but nothing helps. I really hope

someone can help me, this hasn't ever happened to me before and I've had my laptop for almost a year now.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LINKY_29 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Possible issues might include:

Corruption that goes beyond the boundaries of the HP Support Assistant application.

HPSA or the computer are not fully compatible with Windows 11

What we can do:

Very little, actually > HPSA is self-contained - beyond uninstall / restart / install, we do not have any control over its behavior.

We can check the basics (compatibility, for example).

Please provide:

What is the exact model name / product number of your computer?

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Reminder:  Do Not post the serial number or any private information in the Community – we are a public resource.

What is the version of HPSA you are running?

How did you arrive at Windows 11?  "Upgrade"?  "Clean Install"?

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for replying. My product name is HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1xxx, and my product number is 1S8F3UA#ABA

. I am also currently trying to run version 9.10.85.0 . I had arrived at windows 11 by upgrading. It was a completely clean install with the only problem being a lack of free storage space, but I fixed that by freeing up space and after there were no mistakes whatsoever.

Thank you for assisting me,

LINKY_29

HP Recommended

@LINKY_29 

I misspoke when I used the term did you use Upgrade?

I meant to ask whether you used the upgrade assistant to get to Windows 11, that is, an in-place "upgrade my OS".

Clean installation is just that, wipe out the previous OS and load Windows 11.

OK.

Forgive any confusion - this is a mess and all of it is even more difficult to explain "on the fly"...

Moving Parts might include...

=============================================================================

If - for any reason and using any means - you managed to install the older "Software" flavor (type) of the HP Support Assistant, the installed software would show up (and be listed in) Programs and Features

In addition, in that version of the HPSA (OR after having opened the computer's software / drivers page and used "Detect") you would find a secondary "related" software installed in Programs and Features:  HP Support Solutions Framework

If you do not have either one of these software programs installed in Programs and Features, all the good.

HP Support Assistant versions 9.x (including the version you want to install) is an Application.

This means the HPSA app comes from the Microsoft Store

When / If the app is installed, it will show up in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

HP Support Solutions Framework is a "companion" software that would automatically install with the 8.x versions of the HP Support Assistant.  Fine and Dandy until you want to completely uninstall it.  What?  If the software flavor of the HP Support Assistant is installed in Programs and Features, THAT must be uninstalled before you can uninstall the "Framework" software.  I know, right?  It gets worse...

HP Support Solutions - as mentioned - would have been installed with the older HPSA "software" type.

OR

If the HP Support Solutions Framework is not automatically installed with some other software,

HP Support Solutions will be installed when you open your computer Category Software and Drivers and click "Detect"

Does it matter whether HP Support Solutions Framework is installed?

Maybe - it depends on why the HPSA application is tripping and falling when it is opened.

Another moving target:

Opening Category Software and Drivers for your system twists and balks instead of knowing how to open.

Open the page, Click to Change the Operating System (to Windows) > then select the Version of the OS, too.

Finally, the support web page opens and the available drivers for Windows 11 are listed.

What to do?

Ideas - and you may have to poke at this a bit to see how / if / where these elements are affecting your setup...

Check > Uninstall HP Support Assistant software you might find in Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Check > Uninstall HP Support Solutions software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Next,

Check > Uninstall HP Support Assistant software found in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

Check > Uninstall HP Support Solutions software found in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

If any software or application is uninstalled, Restart the computer and log in.

If fact, if you have not done so for a bit, Restart even if you do not fuss with or uninstall HPSA components...

Category Software and Drivers for your system

Do not use Detect

See if you can get the category to open - select the Operating System (Windows) and then select the Version.

If that opens, good - you may end up using this later, if you cannot install / use HPSA.

In fact, for all intents and purposes, manually checking and installing the few drivers and software that are listed is an option.

What?  In fact, you do not need to use HPSA  - lots of people in the world survive without using it and do so deliberately.

OK.

Run Windows Updates and "check for updates".

Why?  Because already there have been updates for Windows 11.

If any updates are installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Open the website > download and install the HPSA installation package.

After the application is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Will this work?

Absolutely unknown.

If you feel like you need the HPSA, I hope something does work to get it going again...

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec1073dx 

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help but I have identified the issue. Windows was automatically terminating the program as it was opening and has suspended it. I haven't fixed this issue as i do not know how to stop it from doing so but at least I figured out the problem. Thank you

HP Recommended

@LINKY_29 

You are welcome.

If Windows is suspending the process (check in Resource Monitor), that is different from Windows Defender or other Security Software terminating it outright.

Interesting.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.