Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-x115dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have three USB ports, two of my USB ports are physically damaged. My remaining USB port is not physically damaged (I can connect my Wacom Intous tablet and the light on the tablet flashes, showing that it is being powered but the computer won't register it).

I used to have two devices + the root hub under "Universal Serial Bus" in Device Manager. One of these devices had the yellow triangle with an exclamation, so I knew something was wrong with the driver. Every online fix out there says to uninstall the drivers and then restart your computer, assuring me that windows will automatically reinstall everything I'd need. Windows only reinstalled one device driver, not both, and I have no idea where or how to get that device driver back.

I AM MISSING A DEVICE, DO NOT TELL ME TO "UNINSTALL OR CHECK FOR UPDATES ON THE DEVICE," IT ISN'T THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

I have tried (not in order of when I did them):
Updating to the current version of windows.
Reverting back to the previous version of windows.
"Check for hardware changes" on Universal Serial Bus controllers, as well as the individual drivers. Nothing happened.
Restarting my laptop.
Taking my battery out of my laptop.
Uninstalling, then reinstalling both remaining drivers under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Attempted to manually install the driver I am missing (I can't find any to download though. I've checked HP for the drivers but didn't find anything for a USB).
Turning off "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" on the remaining driver listed.
Cleaning all three of my USB ports.
Resetting my laptop with windows recovery (so now I have to reinstall ALL of my apps and my USB port still isn't working!! But there's nothing physically wrong with it. WTH???)

Because none of those things worked, I know that I am missing the device driver for the USB port that still functions. That is the only explanation. I just need to know where/if/how I can download and reinstall said missing device.

I am running Windows 10 Home version 2004, OS build 19041.388 on an HP Notebook (2015).

I know my tablet and mouse aren't the problem, as they work perfectly fine on my friends laptop.

I have talked to three windows help people and every single one just told me to either update windows, go back to a previous update, or "update a driver" on a device I told them didn't even exist anymore!! I am getting so incredibly frustrated with this, I need to be able to use my mouse and drawing tablet for work and I can't afford to just buy another laptop or get this one repaired. This issue has been persisting since mid-April of this year.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Go here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-17-x100-notebook-pc/12499468/model/14121264

Install the HP Assistant if you do not have it, run the program to scan for missing drivers and let HP check it.

On that same page the drivers you need are 

Chipset (FIRST)

Firmware Chipset

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.