Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion laptop 14-bk0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop won't connect to any websites any more. It says:

'Cannot securely connect to this page. This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website's owber.'

But it does it for every site I'm trying to access so I'm sure it's to do with the security settings in the laptop. I haven't done anything to them and wouldn't know how to. Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @PennyPiano,

Suggestion:

Goto Internet Options, click on advanced tab and scroll down to security.  

Verify the following are checked:

Use SSL 3.0

Use TLS 1.0

Use TLS 1.1

Use TLS 1.2

If they are not then check them and click apply.  Close the browser and open a new, then try to open the site.

Credit: RonM_3020 from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows_10/cant-connect-securely-to-this-page/e9...

Hope this works,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @PennyPiano,

Suggestion:

Goto Internet Options, click on advanced tab and scroll down to security.  

Verify the following are checked:

Use SSL 3.0

Use TLS 1.0

Use TLS 1.1

Use TLS 1.2

If they are not then check them and click apply.  Close the browser and open a new, then try to open the site.

Credit: RonM_3020 from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows_10/cant-connect-securely-to-this-page/e9...

Hope this works,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thank you Eddy, it worked!!

HP Recommended

My laptop won't connect to any websites any more. It says:

'Cannot securely connect to this page. This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website's owber.'

This happens on every website.  It will EVENTUALLY connect to some sites, but it takes literally minutes.  I tried changing the TLS settings to check 3.0, 2.0, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2.  This did NOT help.

In addition, whenever this laptop is even turned on, it kills the internet on any and all other devices, such as my iphone, alexa, and other laptop.   I add that my other laptop connects just fine.  Can anyone help me?  This is a brand new HP laptop

HP Recommended

Does anyone have any answers for this situation that I described?  This is a brand new HP Laptop.  My 9 year old Dell accesses all websites with no issue.   I also notice that every other WIFI device in my house comes to a standstill when this new laptop is turned on.  This does not occur with the old laptop.

HP Recommended

Eddy's solution did not work for me.  I still cannot access websites.  I have both Edge and Chrome.  Neither will access sites.  My connection is fine, as I can access email.  Also, my other devices run fine on this DSL.  iphone, ipad, 9 year old laptop, alexa.  Does anyone know what else I can try?  This is a BRAND NEW HP EVY laptop.

HP Recommended

where can I find the 'advanced settings'

on my laptop it just says

'try:

go back to the previous page'

and that is it

HP Recommended
This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.
I GET ABOVE ERRORE BUT I CHECKED TLS SETTING CURRECT.

HP Recommended

If restoring/changing TLS settings does solve the problem, uninstall your main antivirus (likely a third-party which is not Windows Defender and runs  in the background) and restart. From experience, disabling them is not enough. Your internet services should be restored after restarting. You can reinstall your antivirus and not have problems. 

I encounter the same problem when my Windows 10 is fresh from an update or after a load of firewall configurations. A security application, like an antivirus or privacy guard, can sometimes cut off connection entirely after sensing the internal changes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.